Minimum Qualifications CURRENT STATE EMPLOYEES:
Current New York State employee with one year or more of qualifying permanent service in a position allocated to a Grade 12 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
GENERAL PUBLIC CANDIDATES:
Individuals who meet the qualifications stated below AND have 55b/c eligibility are encouraged to apply. If applying using your 55b/c status, you must provide a copy of your current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Either 1. four years of emergency management experience as listed below;*
OR 2. a specialized associate's degree as listed below** AND two years of emergency management experience as listed below;*
OR 3. a specialized bachelor's degree or higher as listed below;**
Emergency management experience must include one or more of the following areas:
1. Coordination and implementation of emergency management and disaster preparedness programs.
2. Preparation or modification of disaster plans.
3. Preparation, modification, presentation of disaster educational training and/or exercises.
4. Gather and analyze information to produce briefings or reports or to make timely and effective incident response decisions.
5. Represent an agency or organization in an Emergency Operations Center or leadership position on the Incident Command System.
6. Manage or supervise logistics operations during a major emergency or disaster by overseeing the distribution or staging of equipment and supplies.
**Specialized Degree Areas: Atmospheric Science, Business Continuity, Business Organizational Security Management, Criminal Intelligence Analysis, Criminal Investigations, Criminal Justice, Crisis, Critical Infrastructure, Cyber Security, Digital Forensics, Disaster or Emergency Management, Disaster Resilience, Disaster Science, Emergency Preparedness, Emergency or Public Safety Services, Emergency and/or Risk Management, Fire and Emergency Services, Geography, Homeland Security, Informatics, Meteorology, National Security, Political Science, Public Administration, Security Studies, System Safety and Security, or Urban or Regional Planning.
If verifiable, we will accept and prorate appropriate part-time and volunteer experience.
Duties Description Duties will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Assist with all aspects in the management of training courses, exercises, and Citizen Preparedness events.
• Conduct logistics arrangements for instructors and management of paperwork and payments for instructors upon course completion.
• Attend, coordinate, and assist with instructing training courses related to Incident Command and Emergency Management.
• Assist with the maintenance of the DHSES Learning Management System and website.
• Research, analyze, and report on program activities.
• Write, review, and implement emergency operational procedures, plans and communications.
• Support OEM activities during EOC activations, planned events, exercises and trainings.
• Assist in assessing the training needs of state and local agencies and other organizations that support the state's emergency management efforts.
• Assist in conducting hazard analysis workshops, risk assessments and using applicable data to support emergency plan development.
• Help coordinate the State Radiological Emergency Preparedness (REP) efforts to provide county and local governments with relevant and executable planning, training, and exercise guidance necessary to prevent, protect, mitigate, respond, and recover from incidents involving commercial nuclear power plants.
• Perform other duties and special projects as required.
• Travel may be required (approximately 30%), including during evening and weekends, depending on mission and assignment.
• Possession and maintenance of a valid Driver’s License issued by the NYS Department of Motor Vehicle is required, or otherwise demonstrate the capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job.
NOTE: Support of operations during times of emergency and disaster from State Emergency Operations Center (EOC), state field offices and/or local deployments may be required, which would result in a change and/or increase in working hours, locations and/or duties.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza