Minimum Qualifications PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS:
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Ability to train and supervise others.
• Candidate will be trained in the operation and maintenance procedures as related to Asbestos Containing Materials.
• Ability to read and interpret plans, codes, diagrams, architectural blueprints and specifications.
• Basic computer skills preferred.
• Valid NYS Driver’s License.
• Successful completion of a NYS two-year Plumber and Steamfitter Traineeship or NYS two-year plumbing training program; OR
• Successful completion of any equivalent plumbing two-year training or apprenticeship program; OR
• Four years of full-time experience in plumbing under a skilled journey-level plumber which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprenticeship training in plumbing or training gained by completion of technical courses in plumbing at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The incumbent is responsible for all plumbing work including the planning and laying out of work and diagnosis of plumbing or steam systems, fixtures of heating, ventilating, heating controls, drainage systems and repairs to same within the field in an assigned area, on an assigned project or for the entire district.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs Journeyman level plumbing-steam fitting duties and supervises others in the trade repairs, maintains and installs plumbing fixtures and appliances such as sinks, showers/baths, toilets, dishwashers and garbage disposals.
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the trade or trades to which assigned.
• Repairs, maintains and installs equipment such as gas water heaters, heat exchangers, heating equipment, water pumps and other equipment related to steam, gas, or water systems. Plans and lays out installation, alteration and repair of high and low pressure piping systems that carry water, steam, air or other liquids or gases. Has ability to review plans and lay out building plumbing systems.
• Requires daily travel within the district. May require travel within NY State to assist other districts with special projects. Position may require mentoring for the individuals that we serve.
Additional Comments Please note:
OPWDD is committed to creating and sustaining a culture of inclusion. We believe that we are most effective in managing and improving our service system with a diverse team of employees. With such a large workforce, we rely on the collective individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, self-expression, ideas and talent that our employees bring to their work. This speaks to our culture, and is a key part of our successes. As we continuously recruit people for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that applicants bring in terms of their education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
If you are employed by state government, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office (518) 473-4785 or Email at email@example.com to obtain information and RA forms.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.