Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
If Civil Service Eligible list(s) exist, they will be canvassed. You may also apply if you are eligible for appointment by one of the following qualifications:
To be considered for this position, a review of your state history is needed. Please provide the last four digits of your social security number in your email response or on your resume. If you are not comfortable providing this information in your response, a representative from our office will contact you via phone.
70.1 TRANSFER QUALIFICATIONS:
• Industrial Hygienist Trainee 1: One year of permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55b/c service in a title Grade 12 or higher determined to be administrative by Civil Service* and meet the special minimum qualifications for Industrial Hygienist Trainee 1/2/Senior Industrial Hygienist to be considered
• Industrial Hygienist Trainee 2: One year of permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55b/c service in a title Grade 14 or higher determined to be administrative by Civil Service* and meet the special minimum qualifications for Industrial Hygienist Trainee 1/2/Senior Industrial Hygienist to be considered
• Senior Industrial Hygienist: One year of permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55b/c service in a title Grade 18 or higher determined to be administrative by Civil Service* and meet the special minimum qualifications for Industrial Hygienist Trainee 1/2/Senior Industrial Hygienist to be considered
Note: For 70.1 transfers, a comprehensive list of titles approved for transfers is available through Civil Service GOT-IT at https://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/gotit/.
70.4 TRANSFER QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates with (1) one year of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55 b/c service at salary grade 12 or higher AND (2) a passing score on either the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) or the Public Administration Traineeship Transition (PATT) AND (3) meet the special minimum qualifications for Industrial Hygienist Trainee 1/2/Senior Industrial Hygienist may be considered for a 70.4 transfer to an Industrial Hygienist Trainee 1/2/Senior Industrial Hygienist.
Note: 70.4 candidates must NOT have failed the most recent PCO and/or PATT exam(s).
PHYSICAL/MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS: A medical examination will be required prior to appointment and you are responsible for payment of the clinical laboratory test fee. You may be required to have your physical and medical conditions evaluated annually to ensure that you are able to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position with or without reasonable
FINGERPRINTING/BACKGROUND CHECK: Some positions may require a fingerprint/background check. If the position you applied for requires fingerprinting, you will be advised at the time of your interview. There is no cost to candidates, fingerprinting fees are paid for by the Department of Labor. Candidates being considered for appointment will be provided a pre-paid code and instructions after the interview.
55 B/C QUALIFICATIONS: This position may be designated 55b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Please provide a copy of your 55b/55c letter when applying.
Ability to initiate and maintain relationships across a diverse set of stakeholders
Duties Description STANDARD DUTIES:
As a Senior Industrial Hygienist/Industrial Hygienist Trainee 1/2 in the Division of Safety and Health, the incumbent will:
• Inspect work sites to determine compliance with state and federal standards and guidelines and to identify health violations and health hazards, particularly those associated with exposure to toxic or explosive chemicals and substances in the form of dusts, fibers (including asbestos), fumes, mists, vapors, gases, metals, and pathogenic organisms.
• Identify hazards such as noise and vibrations, light of various types, and other physical energies including electromagnetic emissions. Based upon the results of field testing and/or laboratory analyses taken from on-site inspections, you might confer with management and employee representatives and/or take appropriate enforcement or consultation action.
• Conduct training for appropriate staff or public and private sector employers and employees.
• Use a computer in the performance of these duties.
Additional Comments As this position requires travel, the appointee must have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State and have a motor vehicle or otherwise demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the position.
Candidates with no previous state service will begin at the starting rate of the salary range listed above.
Additional location pay is available for the following counties: Bronx, Kings, Nassau, NYC-Manhattan, Queens, Richmond, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester, Dutchess, Orange, and Putnam.
If you are a current NYS employee and have questions regarding salary, please contact the Business Services Center (BSC): 518-457-4272, BSCHR@ogs.ny.gov.
Candidates that will be new to the Division of Safety and Health who will be a trainee and/ or will have a probationary period will be required to work in the office for one year. Once this timeframe has been successfully completed, telecommuting options will be discussed.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Building 12, Room 561
Notes on ApplyingAll candidates must submit a written resume and cover letter which clearly demonstrates how they meet the minimum qualifications for the position. These documents must be received by December 16th, 2023 and submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the NYS Department of Labor, Personnel Bureau, Building 12, Room 561, State Office Campus, Albany, NY 12240. You must include, Vacancy ID 145250, Senior Industrial Hygienist Trainee 1/2– Garden City, in the subject line of your email. Failure to do so may result in a delay of processing your application.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Department of Labor is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to ensuring equal opportunity for persons with disabilities and workplace diversity.
New York State (NYS) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, carrier status, gender identity or prior conviction records, or prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications or sealed records unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
If you are a person with a disability and wish to request that a reasonable accommodation be provided for you to participate in a job interview, please contact: Department of Labor, Attn: Director, Division of Equal Opportunity and Development (DEOD), Building 12, Albany, NY 12240 (Phone (518) 457-1984 and/or fax (518) 485-2575.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.