Swan Street Building, Core 4
Minimum Qualifications Open to New York State employees with one year of permanent competitive service as an Auditor 1, SG-18, or in a title deemed eligible for transfer to Auditor 1 under 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Transfer candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree including or supplemented by 24 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, and/or taxation courses from an accredited college or university
Auditor Trainee: New York State employees with one year of permanent competitive service as an Auditor Trainee or in a title deemed eligible for transfer under 70.1 of the Civil Service Law to Auditor Trainee 1 or Auditor Trainee 2 may also be considered. Transfer candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree including or supplemented by 24 credit hours in accounting, auditing, and/or taxation courses.
The salary range identified above applies to candidates appointed to Auditor 1, SG-18. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Auditor Trainee 1 starts at $49,202 and is based on the candidate's salary at the time of hire. Candidates hired into the Auditor Traineeship will be advanced to Auditor 1 upon the successful completion of a two-year traineeship.
Duties Description Under the direction of a supervisor and the Director of Internal Controls, the Auditor 1 will be actively involved in the Internal Control program within the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS).
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Review agency operations to assure compliance with management policies and procedures related to internal controls.
• Meet with ITS management and other personnel to gather information needed to create the annual Internal Control Testing Plan.
• Complete the annual Internal Control Testing Plan in a timely manner with minimal changes to budgeted time schedule.
• Assist agency-wide functions with performing self-tests of controls and provide recommendations for improvement where weaknesses are identified.
• Assist management with the development of management action plans to respond to internal and external audit recommendations and track them through to implementation or risk acceptance.
• Develop quality documents, prepare and maintain accurate reports for management.
• Document and update standard operating procedures (SOPs) used to perform daily tasks.
• Assist supervisors and colleagues on various tasks to ensure all work assignments are completed accurately and timely.
• Answer questions, assisting with both individual and group training, and following up on control related issues and requests.
• Persistently but tactfully request information needed from agency staff to ensure timely completion of all bureau tasks, research, and planning.
• Utilize technology resources to manage workflow processes and to maintain documentary evidence.
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent writing, editing, and formatting skills
• Experience with or willingness to learn how to test internal controls
• Ability to meet deadlines effectively and efficiently
• Ability to work independently
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Adobe, PowerPoint, and similar applications
• Willing to take on special assignments
• Able to handle multiple priorities
• A professional, cooperative demeanor and attitude is a must.
• Attendance at NYSICA (New York State Internal Control Association) and other professional meetings to remain current and relevant in the field of Internal Controls.
• Auditor 1’s typically do not supervise lower-level staff, but may provide direction to co-workers, subject matter experts, and consultants on project teams.
Additional Comments Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity. This position may be filled in Albany or NYC or other locations statewide.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Swan St. Bldg, Core 4
Notes on Applying To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter indicating that you are applying for Auditor 1, Ref. #6013, and include the vacancy number from this posting. Please clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.