Information Technology Services Office
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-21 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website. https://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/gotit/title-search/index.cfm
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and candidates with 55b/c eligibility are encouraged to apply. Candidates must possess a current 55b/c eligibility letter and one of the following minimum qualifications:
1. a bachelor’s or higher-level degree in any field including or supplemented by 15 semester credit hours in computer science with at least 9 semester credit hours in programming languages AND two years of experience in computer programming;
Or 2. a bachelor’s or higher-level degree in any field AND three years of experience in computer programming;
Or 3. an associate degree with 15 semester credit hours in programming languages AND four years of experience in computer programming;
Or 4. five years of experience in computer programming.
*Computer programming experience must have involved the planning, configuration, testing, implementation, and/or management of the systems environment that supports the organizations information technology architecture and business needs. This could be a mainframe or network-based server environment where the server supports databases, data communications, web sites, applications servers, etc. The primary distinctive characteristic of computer systems programming when compared to applications programming is that applications programming produces software which provides services to the user, whereas systems programming produces software which provides services to the computer hardware (e.g., operating systems, disk defragmenter) and requires a greater degree of hardware awareness. Computer systems programming experience does not qualify.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department Information Technology group is looking for talented, motivated candidate(s) with a desire to enhance their technology skills to fill an Information Technology Specialist 3 (ITS 3) to support Financial IT systems that the department’s ACCESS-VR (Vocational Rehabilitation) program area relies on. The incumbent will report to the Financial Systems unit lead and responsibilities of this position will include, but not limited to:
• Monitor, maintain and develop ETL processes for SFS extracts transfer;
• Ensure processes between IT systems and third-party solutions (such as AWARE) are functional and documented;
• Develop test plans for new processes;
• Monitor, maintain and troubleshoot existing bulk load processes, develop PL/SQL to accommodate new extracts;
• Maintenance and development of all PL/SQL related activities;
• Assist in Modernizing current processes to be more in line with updated Education Department IT Architecture and Standards;
• Maintain existing Cognos reports and participate in development of new Cognos reports;
• Development of packages in Cognos framework;
• Development of packages in Cognos front end module;
• Document the existing and new financial IT processes;
• Leverage the unit’s project management tools to track upcoming and in progress work.
• Develop new functionality according to Finance office business rules;
• Maintain code base in the existing code repositories using git;
• Maintain and develop Unix scripts to support daily processing of financial data;
• Maintain, develop and troubleshoot financial processes in Oracle E-Business Suite application;
• Maintain, develop and troubleshoot projects/jobs on GoAnywhere;
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of Coursework and experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $103,350 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 26, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-688/51865) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 26, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-688/51865) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.