47-40 21st Street
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must possess a New York State Professional Engineer License and current registration. To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
Duties Description The Professional Engineer 1 will work in the Capital Delivery section or the Design Services section of the regional Design unit.
The incumbent of this position will be the Consultant Job Manager and/or the Design Squad Leader for an in-house design squad for highway and bridge rehabilitation and reconstruction projects. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Managing in-house Design teams, and/or managing Consultant teams in the development of project scopes, preliminary engineering, and final design.
• Producing biddable contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
• Delivering projects on-time and on-budget.
• Preparing and maintaining project schedules using P6 (primavera).
• Developing/reviewing design reports.
• Obtaining permits.
• Supervising several Engineers and Technicians.
• Coordinating with Regional and Main Office functional groups, coordinating with the public and with other agencies.
If assigned to the Design Services section, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for roles which may include Regional Estimating Engineer, Regional Value Engineering Coordinator, and supervising and/or assisting the following roles – Regional Special Specification Coordinator, ProjectWise Data Manager, Plan Review, and/or Utility Engineering. The role requires close familiarity with project development, as well as strong supervisory and communication skills. Duties may include:
• Reviewing contract plans, specifications, and estimates, and providing comment and guidance to designers to ensure project quality.
• Keeping up to date on State standards to maintain quality relating to the roles listed above.
• Learning and using necessary software to support the roles listed above (such as Estimator and AASHTOWare Project Preconstruction for Estimating and SpecTracker for Special Spec Coordination).
• Keep track of project Bid Results and Price Trends relating to project estimates.
• Supervising several Engineers and Technicians performing different roles.
• Coordinating with Regional and Main Office functional groups, and with other agencies.
Additional Comments Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident
Command System to support the department’s response to
regional and statewide emergency situations
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com
Salary to include an additional $3087 location pay
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
47-40 21st Street
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume, titled by last name, with the Notice Number R11-23-97 and last name in the subject line and referenced in the letter of interest no later than December 20, 2023 to:
Personnel Office NYS Dept. of Transportation – Region 11
47-40 21st Street – Room 840
Long Island City, NY 11101
Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
***PLEASE INCLUDE R11-23-97 IN THE SUBJECT LINE***