Legal Services Office
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter. Information about this examination for this title series can be found at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/legal-specialties/index.cfm
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as Senior Attorney (Realty) to qualify for transfer.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to salary grade 23 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also possess a Juris Doctor Degree and Admission to the NYS Bar to qualify for transfer.
For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website. https://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/gotit/title-search/index.cfm
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and candidates with 55b/c eligibility are encouraged to apply. Candidates must possess a current 55b/c eligibility letter and the following minimum qualifications:
• Juris Doctor Degree, Admission to the NYS Bar, and 24 months of subsequent satisfactory legal experience
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Professions is seeking candidates for a Senior Attorney position in the Office of Legal Services. Under the direction of Legal Services management , duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Act as an Administrative Officer, as authorized by statute, including rulings on objections and other legal matters at such hearings;
• Provide legal assistance and draft hearing decisions for various levels of adjudicating bodies in administrative, discipline and related proceedings regulating licensees in the fifty plus professions licensed by the NYSED;
• Perform legal research on a variety of topics impacting 50+professions;
• Research and prepare legal documents, internal memoranda, and correspondence;
• Effective and timely management of assigned caseload; and
• Interact professionally and effectively with members of the Board of Regents and the various state professional boards, other SED staff, opposing counsel, witnesses, and members of the public.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This will be a permanent appointment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of Admission to the NYS Bar, Juris Doctor Degree and/or legal experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess Admission to the NYS Bar at the time of hire. Continued employment as a Senior Attorney is dependent upon maintaining Admission to the NYS Bar. Failure to maintain Admission to the NYS Bar will result in removal from employment. This position will require 10% Statewide travel.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $114,444 based on annual performance advances.
Based on this position’s location, in addition to the listed base salary, this position also receives a $3,087 Downstate Adjustment.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 26, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OP-1663/21918) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 26, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OP-1663/21918) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.