110 State Street
Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for an Auditor 1 (Municipal), eligible under the 55 b/c program (see below), or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
For a 70.1 transfer to an Auditor 1 (Municipal), SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a SG-16 or above and have 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 2:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 2, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 14 or above.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 1:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 1, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 12 or above.
Depending on qualifications, you may be required to serve a 1 or 2-year traineeship that leads to the full level grade 18 position.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website: Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
Appointments via transfer must not result in a second, consecutive transfer with an advancement of more than two S-grades or one M-grade.
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
For a 55 b/c appointment, you must:
• Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service and listed on the most recent exam announcement:
http://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/announcements/oc-cr/decentralized/20-722.cfm (Trainee level)*
http://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/announcements/oc-cr/decentralized/20-777.cfm (Senior level)*
• Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary)
• Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service, www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
*If you are currently 55b/c eligible and possess a bachelor’s degree and have 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Duties Description Analyzing, evaluating and reporting on local government fiscal health
• Evaluate the status and trends of the financial condition of local governments for individual units and overall, by reviewing financial statements, budgets and other financial disclosure materials, and through the compilation and analysis of statistical data pertaining to and influencing municipal financial outcomes.
o Work directly with local governments to examine and analyze financial reports and the data therein submitted by local governments, with such analysis informed by data from other sources, as available, including independent financial reports, audits and other third-party reports, and other financial material.
o Prioritize and perform reviews and analyses to meet deadlines, to provide timely and accurate analysis for internal and external consumers of the Division’s work products.
• Identify and report on other emerging trends that may have implications for the fiscal condition of local governments.
• Create written summaries of analysis and issues, enhanced with tables and charts.
• Effectively communicate to:
o Present policies, priorities, issues and concerns in a constructive way.
o Represent and promote the Division through presentations, team membership, consultation and other communication methods.
• Based on analysis and comparison of financial statements, budgets and other municipal data, provide information and identify areas where local governments may improve financial operations.
• Evaluate and communicate risks for potential areas of audit or review.
Provide Training and Technical Assistance
• Provide technical assistance to local officials, staff and others related to the preparation of annual financial reports, local government financial condition and fiscal stress
• Gain knowledge of accounting and auditing standards, Division policies and guidelines, accounting systems, financial analysis methods, opinions and laws and emerging issues and provide guidance and technical assistance to local officials, staff and others. All technical assistance should be appropriately documented and provided in a professional manner.
• Prepare and present training to internal and external stakeholders in person or through a virtual platform as assigned.
Respond to Data and Other Requests
• Respond to and manage requests for local government financial information from
both internal and external customers.
• Consult with data customers about their data requests and identify the right product (s) to meet their needs. Also, respond to customers questions concerning the concepts and meanings of the data provided.
• Execute routine and other non-routine requests from management.
Additional Comments Desired Competencies or Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to think independently
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Strong analytical skills
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal skills
• Strong knowledge of local government operations and municipal finance
• Strong leadership skills
• Knowledge and use of technology
• Ability to handle multiple and competing priorities
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong work ethic and positive attitude
The Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC) supports telecommuting where it is reasonable to do so based upon the agency’s mission and operational needs. Generally, employees new to OSC will be restricted from telecommuting for at least 8 calendar weeks. After the initial 8 calendar week restriction, if an employee’s duties and work performance are aligned with telecommuting they may be allowed to do so. Upon approval to telecommute, OSC employees may telecommute up to 5 days per pay period.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than December 19, 2023. Reference Item #04341 -SAB in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Jennifer Haviland, email@example.com
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section only. The OER ID # should not be included.