44 Holland Avenue
Minimum Qualifications Transfer Opportunity:
Candidates must be employed by New York State to be eligible to apply for this position. Candidates must have permanent status as an Administrative Assistant 2, Grade 15, and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be eligible to transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law by having at least one year of permanent service in a qualifying title within two salary grades of the Grade 15 level.
Candidates who are not transferring from, or have formerly held, a keyboarding title must possess adequate keyboarding skills (i.e., the ability to type 30 words per minute with at least 96% accuracy) as demonstrated by passing the Keyboarding Performance Test.
In accordance with Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law, this notice advises all employees of the Office of Mental Health of our intention to potentially conduct a non-competitive promotion examination for the position of Administrative Assistant 2, G-15, at the Office of Mental Health, Central Office in Albany. Permanent appointment may be made by non-competitive promotion of an applicant who meets the position’s minimum qualifications if all requirements of a non-competitive promotion appointment are met. In order to be eligible for a non-competitive promotion examination, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as an Administrative Assistant 1, G-11.
Candidates do not need to be employed by New York State in order to be eligible for provisional appointment to this position. In order to be eligible for a provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as an Administrative Assistant 1.
Candidates appointed provisionally must take the next Civil Service examination for this title and their score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before they can be permanently appointed. Candidates who do not pass the examination or do not achieve a reachable score may not be retained in the title. At this time, a date for the Administrative Assistant 2 examination has not been announced.
Duties Description The New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) is recruiting to fill an Administrative Assistant 2, Grade 15, position assigned to Division of State-Operated Children’s and Adult Services located in Albany. Reporting to the Associate Commissioner for the Division of State-Operated Children’s and Adult Services, the selected candidate will be responsible for a variety of confidential duties that provide the appropriate level of day-to-day administrative support necessary to efficiently and effectively manage the Division.
Specific duties to be performed include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Manage the Associate Commissioner’s calendar scheduling and arranging meetings, conferences, and presentations.
• Communicate by phone, mail, email, fax, and in-person with a variety of individuals, including executive and program staff from OMH facilities, other State agencies, community providers, constituent groups, recipients, and families. Respond to questions or refer complex issues to appropriate staff.
• Transmit instructions from the Associate Commissioner and Bureau Directors to staff and monitor staff assignments.
• Review incoming correspondence and reports to determine their significance. Follow-up with appropriate program staff.
• Compile data and gather information to prepare correspondence, reports, forms, briefing materials, and other documents. Review final products for completeness and accuracy.
• Coordinate office procedures and tracking systems.
• Organize and maintain an extensive filing system, including computer files.
• Schedule, organize, coordinate, and attend a variety of meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and other events. Assemble and coordinate background materials for meetings and conferences. Prepare minutes as required and generate accurate, timely reports that outline discussion and identify next steps.
• Work on special projects, as assigned.
• Keep continuous knowledge of updated software to complete tasks
Additional Comments Specific scheduled hours and telecommuting availability for this position will be discussed during the interview process. Please note, employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to operational needs and Agency Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
The Mission of the New York State Office of Mental Health is to promote the mental health of all New Yorkers, with a focus on providing hope and supporting recovery for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. Applicants with lived mental health experience are encouraged to apply. OMH is deeply committed to supporting underserved individuals, organizations, and communities. To this end, OMH is focused on implementing activities and initiatives to reduce disparities in access, quality, and treatment outcomes for underserved populations. A critical component of these efforts is ensuring OMH is a diverse and inclusive workplace where all employees' unique attributes and skills are valued and utilized to support the mission of the Agency. OMH is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for this position, interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title of the position and Vacancy ID #145475 in the subject line of your email when applying.
You are advised that, should you accept a job offer with the Office of Mental Health, you may be required to be fingerprinted and pay a fingerprint fee.