Minimum Qualifications The selected candidate must be eligible for a 70.1 transfer under Civil Service Law or reachable on the eligible list for this title and location in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Law, Rules and Regulations.
Upon completion of a two-year traineeship, this position leads to an Auditor 1 (Tax) SG 18.
Special Minimum Qualifications for transfer to Auditor Trainee 1 (Tax):
A bachelor’s degree including or supplemented by 24 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, or taxation; or a bachelor’s degree including or supplemented by 18 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, or taxation and six credit hours in finance, money and banking, economics, or business.
If eligible via 55 b/c please provide a copy of your active letter of eligibility with your response.
Duties Description Chosen candidates will perform on-site field audits and examinations of taxpayers' books, records, and substantiating data to determine compliance with various articles of the New York State Tax Law.
These duties include but are not limited to:
• Conduct audits and examinations of taxpayers’ books and records to determine compliance with the various articles of the NYS Tax Law.
• Develop and maintain working knowledge of tax law as well as Department and Audit Division procedures and policies, including the Code of Conduct, Ethics practices and security and confidentiality rules.
• Communicate effectively with supervisors, taxpayers and/or their representatives both orally and in writing.
• Learn and maintain skills in computer technology. This includes the use of laptop computers, PCs, various software applications, and mainframe applications.
• Travel frequently, both locally and overnight. Must be able to travel within and outside New York State and travel to locations not accessible by public transportation.
• Must be able to travel with computer equipment and case materials to various field audit sites, training classes, BCMS conferences, etc.
• Represent the Audit Division and advocate disputed cases at BCMS conferences and Small Claims Hearings. May participate at hearings as a witness for the Department to assist attorneys from the Department’s Office of Counsel in the resolution of disputed cases.
• Participate in audit selection process.
• Meet the Department's time and attendance rules.
Additional Comments Work hours, travel, and telecommuting options to be discussed during the interview.
New York State is an equal opportunity employer. It’s the policy of the state of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or an arrest or criminal conviction record unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Some positions may require additional or a background check to verify your identity.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingQualified Candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume, including current title and how you qualify. Please provide a copy of your unofficial transcripts to show you meet the minimum qualifications.
Please reference the vacancy ID number and job title with your response.
You may be contacted to provide your Social Security Number for verification of your NYS service.