4-44 47th Road
Minimum Qualifications Transfer (Permanent): Candidates currently serving as a Park Manager 2 may be eligible for reassignment. Candidates serving in a title that is eligible for 52.6 transfer may also be appointed on a permanent basis.
Provisional: In the event there is no viable Civil Service list, a provisional appointment may be made. In order to be eligible for a provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and have at least one year of permanent, competitive service as a Park Manager 1, Historic Site Manager C, Recreation Complex Manager 1, Recreation Complex Manager 2, Golf Course Manager 2, Assistant Golf Course Superintendent, Golf Course Superintendent 1, Building Restoration Specialist, Maintenance Supervisor 3, Maintenance Supervisor 4, or Regional Park Maintenance Supervisor.
*Candidates appointed on a provisional basis must take the next holding of the Park Manager 2 exam, pass the exam, and be reachable on the resulting eligible list to continue appointment in the Park Manager 2 position.
Duties Description Under the supervision of a higher-level manager, the Park Manager 2 supervises programs and operations within Gantry Plaza State Park. The incumbent performs the following duties:
• Identifies community recreational needs and works with the community, school groups, local government officials or friends groups to develop and implement programs, schedules, and special events.
• Assigns, schedules, supervises and evaluates the effectiveness of contractors and staff.
• Inspects, evaluates and assures the readiness and availability of equipment and facilities to meet requirements for scheduled activities.
• Supervises recreation and administrative staff and participates in recruitment and training programs.
• Inspects cleaning and maintenance of the parks grounds.
• In conjunction with other maintenance staff and the Park Director 2, plans major repairs and preventative projects; implements cleaning and routine maintenance schedules.
• Assists higher level managers to plan and budget for equipment, repairs and supplies needed to support existing and planned programming & events; orders needed supplies and materials.
• Requests needed repairs and ongoing maintenance and coordinates them to minimize adverse impact on customer services; makes recommendations to higher level management for policies, procedures, training and facility improvements to enhance the customer experience and promote customer satisfaction.
• Assures that all Agency, Regional and Park standards for service delivery, customer service and employee conduct and performance are consistently met.
• Prepares, updates, and executes a comprehensive plan of preventative maintenance, regular maintenance and repair for systems, structures, fixed equipment, and grounds at Gantry Plaza State Park.
• Coordinates with higher level management and regional capital facilities staff, as directed, to assure that priority needs for maintenance and repair are promptly identified and addressed in a manner which avoids disruption of park operations to the greatest extent feasible.
• Determines needs for purchasing materials, equipment, and supplementary contractor services for required maintenance and repair of buildings, mechanical systems, fixed equipment, and grounds.
• Completes necessary purchasing requests and prepares and/or compiles any required supporting documentation.
• Evaluates park facilities for energy conservation and sustainable operations.
• Sets standards, and assigns tasks based on the daily operational needs of the park.
• Works closely with volunteers, the community, and vendors to assure NYS Parks’ mission is always met.
• Carries out other related duties and responsibilities as assigned; may also serve as shift supervisor for all programs and operations.
Additional Comments OPERATING NEEDS:
• Candidates must possess and maintain a valid NYS driver’s license as a term and condition.
• Candidates must possess effective communication skills and have the ability to understand written and/or verbal material and instructions.
• This position is 40 hours per week. Daytime, weekend, holiday, and evening work is required.
• Candidate is expected to periodically support New York City Region park and operational needs, including special assignments at other parks and emergency management tasks as needed.
• Candidate is expected to have proficiency in Excel, Word, and Microsoft Outlook.
There are various benefits that a permanent employee is entitled to, based on their negotiating unit:
• Vacation, Holiday, Sick, And Personal Leave
• Health Care Coverage
• Retirement Plan
• Payroll Deduction Savings Plans
• Tuition Assistance Programs
• Life Insurance and Disability Insurance
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Employee Wellness Program (EWP)
To learn more about our benefits, visit: https://parks.ny.gov/employment/benefits.aspx
The posted hiring rate is the sum of the statutory hiring rate ($73,836) and the Downstate Adjustment ($3,087). The posted job rate is the sum of the statutory job rate ($91,210) and the Downstate Adjustment ($3,087).
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf you feel you meet the minimum qualifications and the agency’s operating needs, and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, your region’s administrative headquarters or you can download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation by visiting the website below.
Please forward your application and resume, if available, to. You can email your application and resume to email@example.com. All qualified persons are invited and encouraged to apply.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience and demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications and agency operating needs.