Office of Audit Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree including or supplemented by 24 undergraduate or graduate credit hours in accounting and/or auditing AND three years of professional accounting and/or auditing experience in one or more of the following areas:
• As an internal accountant or auditor with responsibility for conducting a full range of accounting and/or auditing activities for an entity;
• As a professional staff member of a private accounting or auditing practice with broad experience in conducting financial compliance, economy and efficiency, or performance audits, or
• As a field auditor with a federal, state, or municipal agency, with the responsibility for conducting comprehensive audits of governmental agencies in accordance with Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) to determine the compliance with laws, rules, and regulations.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Performance Improvement Management Services is seeking candidates for four (4) Project Assistant positions in the Office of Audit Services. Under the supervision of the Auditor 3, the incumbents of these positions will work with Office of Audit Services’ (OAS) staff to conduct audits of local educational agencies (LEAs) who received COVID response funding through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act; Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act; and the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Conduct audits of entities who received federal Education Stabilization Funds for compliance with Uniform Guidance and the terms of the federal award;
• Participate in the audit process, including survey, fieldwork and reporting;
• Participate in the development of audit plans and programs by reviewing relevant documents, records and reports related to the particular entity to be audited;
• Meet with auditee's representatives to describe the nature of the audit that will be conducted and establish the audit protocols;
• Conduct interviews of auditee's staff to obtain required and necessary information for the conduct of audits;
• Examine source documents used by the entities being audited to obtain documentation needed to accomplish audit objectives;
• Participate in writing audit findings and reports and recommending appropriate corrective action; and
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
These will be a temporary appointments. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of education and experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require 25% Statewide travel.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $103,350 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 27, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-676/51503, PIMS-677/51502, PIMS-678/51501, PIMS-679/51500) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 27, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-676/51503, PIMS-677/51502, PIMS-678/51501, PIMS-679/51500) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.