Minimum Qualifications Four years of full-time experience in a trade under a skilled journey-level position, which would provide training that is
equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprentice training in a trade or training gained by the completion
of technical courses in a trade at a school or institute may be substituted for the above experience on a year-for-year
Duties Description A Trades Generalist performs journey-level work in one trade, and skilled and semi-skilled level work in a combination of other trades in the repair and maintenance of facilities and equipment. Incumbents may supervise others in maintenance, repair, installation, and construction activities.
• Performs a variety of carpentry related duties, including but not limited to installations and repairs of flooring, repair and adjustment of doors and hardware, stairs, railings, and replacement of ceiling tile.
• Performs minor electrical duties including but not limited to replacing receptacles, light fixtures, and circuit breakers.
• Repairs, installs, and maintains plumbing fixtures and appliances, including but not limited to sinks, showers, baths, commodes, dishwashers, domestic water, and drainage distribution systems.
• Preforms a variety of painting related duties including but not limited to preparing surfaces, priming, and painting.
• Performs maintenance, and preventative maintenance on mechanical equipment including but not limited to bathroom exhaust fans, clothes dryers, sump pumps and generators
• Requires daily travel within the district. May require travel within NY State to assist other districts with special projects.
• Position may require mentoring for the individuals that we serve.
Additional Comments As a participating agency in the Heath Care and Mental Hygiene Worker Bonus Program (HWB), direct care employees may be eligible to earn up to $3000 in bonuses for qualifying service if they meet specific requirements including continuous service during the appropriate vesting periods. For more information on the program, please contact (607)240-4786.
OPWDD is committed to creating and sustaining a culture of inclusion. We believe that we are most effective in managing and improving our service system with a diverse team of employees. With such a large workforce, we rely on the collective individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, self-expression, ideas, and talent that our employees bring to their work. This speaks to our culture and is a key part of our successes. As we continuously recruit people for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that applicants bring in terms of their education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
If you are employed by state government, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office (518) 473-9689 or Email at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain information and RA forms.
For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures.
If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.