but will be responsible for territory spanning multiple Counties within NYS.
Minimum Qualifications To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service law.
If a viable eligible list does not exist, a provisional appointment may be made in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must take the next competitive examination and be reachable on the resultant eligible list in order to be considered for permanent appointment to the position.
The minimum requirements for taking the examination are:
Either 1. a bachelor's or higher degree;
Or 2. four years of experience in a position with responsibility for commercial vehicle enforcement or motor carrier traffic management as dispatcher,* traffic manager, or terminal manager with a motor carrier of property or passengers that is regulated by the United States Department of Transportation or the New York State Department of Transportation. Similar experience with other state or federal transportation regulatory agencies will be considered qualifying. Experience in a position with a government regulatory agency with responsibility for the investigation and reporting of compliance with state, federal, and/or local government laws, rules, and regulations will also be considered qualifying.
Or 3. an associate's degree AND two years of experience as described above.
*For purposes of this examination, “dispatch experience” requires knowledge of and experience with federal and state rules and regulations pertaining to hours of service, records of duty status, drug and alcohol testing, commercial driver’s license, medical certification, and pre- and post-trip inspections. Experience limited to the dispatch of vehicles, such as taxicabs and emergency services, is NOT qualifying.
Duties Description Under the direction of an Intermodal Transportation Specialist 1 (Motor Carrier Safety), SG-18, the incumbent of this position will serve as a field representative. Duties will include:
• Examine records of motor carriers to ensure compliance with pertinent state and federal laws regulations and policies.
• Conduct safety audits of new entrant interstate operators to determine compliance with federal motor carrier safety regulations.
• Conduct roadside inspections of commercial drivers.
• Prepare reports of investigation findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
• Assist motor carriers in complying with provisions of the Transportation Law, Rules and Regulations, orders of the commissioner, and department policies.
• Investigate shipper, passenger, and carrier complaints revolving around claims of safety violations, overcharge, loss, damage, poor service, and oversee the resolution and enforcement process.
• Advise stakeholders of their rights and responsibilities under the Transportation Law.
• Ensure compliance with the Transportation Law and Regulations by conducting inspections, investigations, vehicle impoundments, and issuance of Notices of Violations (NOVs).
• Testify at Department of Transportation and other agency administrative hearings and in civil and criminal court proceedings.
• Successfully completes mandatory trainings and maintain certifications provided by FMCSA.
This position requires extensive daily travel within an assigned geographic area. You will be required to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise demonstrate the capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job. You must possess a driver's license valid in New York State at the time of appointment and continuously thereafter. Field work and travel expenses are reimbursed on a fixed schedule.
The selected candidate must pass a physical/medical examination prior to appointment.
Cannabis use is not permitted for employees in this title and assignment. Cannabis use will be tested for during the pre-employment screening process and may be the basis for disqualification for employment or may be a basis for removal from employment
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments *Although this position will report to Main Office, the incumbent may be assigned to work from a location within a territory that encompasses Albany, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren and Washington counties.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
50 Wolf Road POD 5-3
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume, titled by last name, with the Notice Number MO-23-606 and last name in the subject line and referenced in the letter of interest no later than December 18th, 2023