Minimum Qualifications A bachelor's degree and ten years of progressive experience in Information technology, including:
• Five or more years of senior leadership experience in leading cross-functional teams and enterprise-wide programs, operating and influencing effectively across the organization and within complex contexts.
• Five or more years of experience in integrating complex cross-corporate data processes and data models, and/or designing strategic metrics and scorecards.
• Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP)
• Data Governance and Stewardship Professional (DGSP)
• Excellent interpersonal skills: able to work across business lines at senior levels to influence and effect change to achieve common goals
• Analytical skills: outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities with an understanding of statistical analytics and how data is used to enable informed decision making, identify opportunities for better business outcomes.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to explain digital concepts and technologies to business leaders, as well as business concepts to technologists; able to sell ideas and process internally at all levels, including the board and investors.
• Proven record of effective leadership, including the ability to balance team and individual responsibilities; building teams and consensus; getting things done through others not directly under their supervision; working ethically and with integrity.
Duties Description The Chief Data Officer will direct the Chief Data Office (CDO) within the NYS Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) creating and managing the State’s data strategy; ensuring data quality and driving business value through data analytics and governance to promote transparency, improve government performance and enhance citizen engagement as defined, but not limited to Executive Order 95.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Create a Statewide strategy that has data quality at its core and fosters a data driven decision making culture for State agencies.
• Develop polices for safeguarding and governing NYS data assets, this includes but is not limited to the NYS Open Data Handbook.
• Develops or assists in developing and communicating work procedures, processes, rules, and internal controls.
• Encourage statewide compliance with policies, standard, protocols and best practices.
• Collaborate with the Statewide Data Working Group to identify data sets where the quality and consistency are essential to promoting transparency, improve government performance and enhance the citizen experience.
• Lead the Statewide Data Working Group, direct data sharing activities across NY State and local entities, advise executive management on potential risks or compliance with regulatory compliance and serve as the liaison to develop short-term and long-term data publication plans.
• Direct the development of effective data management training to raise awareness for safeguarding data and garner support for following data management procedures, enabling quality data to be available.
• Define and manage the budget of the CDO; monitoring and reporting on spending; procuring and managing services related to data management; develop and track performance metrics of the CDO.
• Evaluates proposed and enacted State and Federal Legislation that may impact ITS and/or NYS agencies and may assist in proposing or drafting legislation in partnership with Chief Counsel.
• Collaborate with executive colleagues at ITS and supported agencies whose responsibilities also involve data to ensure the State’s data policies comply with acceptable use standards and regulations.
• Perform full range of supervisory duties.
Additional Comments Fingerprinting and background check are required for employment with ITS.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
* Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
* Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
* Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
* Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually
* Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
* Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
* Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
* New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
* NYS Deferred Compensation
* Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
* Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
* And many more
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Swan St Building, Core 4
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please submit a cover letter and resume. Please indicate that you are applying for the Chief Data Officer and include the Vacancy ID 148775 in the subject of your email.
Your Social Security Number may be required in order to confirm your eligibility.