Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher AND a valid NYS teaching certificate in Special Education.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
• Certification as a Teacher of the Visually Impaired; and/or
• Training as an Orientation and Mobility specialist.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s School for the Blind is seeking applicants for an Instructor position for the Orientation and Mobility (O&M) program. The O&M Instructor will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team in developing strategies designed for the specific needs of each individual student. Major duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Administer O&M evaluations, assessments and establish appropriate Individualized Education Program (IEP) goals;
• Instruct students with visual impairments in skills and knowledge that enable them to travel independently based on the IEP goals established;
• Teach students to travel with proficiency, safety, and confidence in familiar and unfamiliar environments;
• Prepare sequential and meaningful instruction geared to the student’s assessed needs, IEP goals and objectives, functioning level, and motivation level;
• Prepare and use equipment and materials, such as tactile maps, models, optical devices, pre-canes, GPS devices, and long canes for the development of O&M skills; and
• Prepare reports with documentation based on evaluations, assessments and progress monitoring.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. This will be a permanent, 10-month position. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $63,607 - $81,091 through annual performance advances
APPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BDC-274/00134) of the position and shift in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BDC-274/00134) of the position and shift in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.