Office of Communications
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Secretary 2.
§70.1 Transfer: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under §70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also be able to pass a typing proficiency exam.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Secretary 2 eligible list may be considered for appointment.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Public Affairs is seeking candidates for a Secretary 2 position. The Office of Public Affairs develops and coordinates the message of the Board of Regents, the Commissioner, and the Department, and disseminates information to critical audiences including Department staff, the field, the public, the media, the Legislature, and the Executive branch. The incumbent of this position will report to the Assistant Commissioner for Public Affairs. Duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Answer phone calls and provide technical assistance or redirect callers to the appropriate staff person or unit within the Department;
• Proofread, edit, and distribute press releases to media, staff, and other NYSED stakeholders;
• Manage the distribution of the daily, weekly, and monthly press releases;
• Schedule meetings and prepare meeting minutes per established protocols;
• Review travel requests and procurement requests, arrange travel for staff and process travel reimbursements;
• Prepare and manage Excel spreadsheets and databases, including the weekly and monthly press schedules;
• Develop and maintain paper and electronic filing systems for the Office;
• Oversee the inventory of office supplies and place appropriate orders;
• Compile daily clips using Storify program and send to internal staff;
• Monitor the NYSED communications email box, draft responses, and forward messages to appropriate staff;
• Post pre-written messages to social media channels;
• Maintain and update contact lists;
• Maintain staff calendars and the calendar for the Assistant Commissioner;
• Post news releases to the NYSED news page; and
• Review monthly invoices.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $61,300 with annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 16, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-330/05005) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 16, 2017 to email@example.com (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-330/05005) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.