Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
1500 Waters Place
Minimum Qualifications Open to all qualified candidates:
Candidates must be reachable for appointment from the
eligible list for this title;
Candidates must be a qualified employee of NYS and have had one year of permanent competitive or §55 b/c service as a Licensed Practical Nurse; OR have had one year of permanent competitive or §55 b/c service in a title approved for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law;
Candidates must be a qualified employee of NYS, possess current licensure and registration as a Licensed Practical Nurse in NYS, have one year of permanent competitive or §55 b/c service in a title within two salary grades of Licensed Practical Nurse, and have status on the Licensed Practical Nurse eligible list;
Open Competitive/Continuous Recruitment Opportunity:
Candidates must possess one of the following:
• a license and current registration to practice as a
Licensed Practical Nurse in New York State;
• a limited permit to practice as a Practical Nurse in New
• an application on file for a limited permit to practice as
a Practical Nurse in New York State. (You must be
appointed immediately following graduation from an
approved school of practical nursing in New York State
to qualify under this option.*)
*Note: If you are appointed with a limited permit or an application on file for a limited permit, you MUST obtain your license within ONE year of the date your limited permit was issued or steps will be taken to remove you from the position.
To apply as an open competitive candidate, please complete the New York State Application (http://www.cs.ny.gov/extdocs/pdf/nysapp.pdf) and submit it with your other application materials.
Duties Description As a Licensed Practical Nurse under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, you would be involved in the treatment of patients/residents. Duties include but are not limited to:
• administer medications and injections;
• perform tube feedings;
• hang IVs;
• collect blood samples if certified for venipuncture;
• provide colostomy care;
• observe patients and report changes in their condition;
• take and record temperature, pulse, respiration and
• obtain specimens for analysis and perform other
medical procedures as ordered by a physician
• prepare and apply simple dressings
• bathe and feed patients/residents
• care for patients/residents and their quarters by
performing such tasks as making beds, changing linen,
lifting and moving patients/residents and caring for
their personal effects
Additional Comments Notes:
1. If you fail to maintain your license and/or registration once you are appointed, action will be taken to remove you from the position.
2. In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
3. If appointed you may be required to become an enrolled Medicare provider; obtain and provide to your employer a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number issued by the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES); and otherwise actively participate to the degree necessary to allow for your services to be billed through Medicare and Medicaid. If you are appointed and you lose the ability to bill through Medicare and Medicaid, you may be terminated from your employment.
Background Investigation Requirements:
Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC), which includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application, may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information, and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees may be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
This position is eligible for the Downstate Adjustment of $3,026.
Generous benefit package includes:
• Paid vacation leave
• Paid personal leave
• Paid holidays
• Paid sick leave
• Tuition Aid
• Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision care benefits
• Membership in the New York State and Local
Employees' Retirement System, and
• Various savings plan programs.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
1500 Waters Place
Notes on ApplyingPlease indicate the Title, Vacancy ID # and Location of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email or fax. Please complete the Office of Mental Health Employment Application and submit it along with your other application materials via fax, or email the Human Resources email address noted above.