Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
50 Wolf Road - 6th Floor
Minimum Qualifications To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
Duties Description The selected candidate will primarily be responsible for the Budget Bureau’s transition to the Statewide Financial System (SFS), as well as supervising the budgeting of multiple program areas within the Department. Generally, the analyst will be expected to work with other Department subject matter experts to successfully transition NYSDOT into SFS, and to oversee the preparation of program area budget estimates, proposal justifications and workload forecasts. Responsibilities also include preparation and analysis of narrative and tabular reports indicating agency expenditure components for the purpose of monitoring agency expenditures.
This job requires excellent communication skills among varied audiences including Division of the Budget (DOB) staff, program area staff, Executive Management; as well as the ability to objectively assess financial and/or staffing needs and requests at all levels. The assignment requires analysis of program procedures and legislative proposals, personnel costs and staffing level issues, as well as all non-personal service issues throughout the Fiscal Year. The selected candidate will also be expected to perform maintenance and analysis of data primarily in spreadsheet formats, but databases may be used as well.
Specific duties of this position could include:
• Assisting with the Department’s on boarding to the Statewide Financial System;
• Preparing annual budget request and re-appropriation request;
• Reviewing and monitoring execution of budget and multi-year financing plan for federal, state dedicated and general obligation bond funds;
• Providing confidential advice to the Director and/or Department management on budget proposals affecting Department program areas;
• Working closely with the DOB in evaluating confidential budget policy alternatives;
• Developing formal responses to legislative proposals that would impact Department programs;
• Directing and supervising budgeting staff in preparing and analyzing agency budget requests and justifications, developing and evaluating program costs and projects, preparing agency’s budgets, monitoring expenditures, conducting studies of the efficiency and effectiveness of agency programs, maintaining fiscal and accounting records and preparing required forms and reports for submission to DOB and Office of the State Comptroller (OSC);
• Providing technical guidance and assistance to agency program managers and administrators, recommend alternative fiscal plans and forecast the adequacy of available fiscal resources to meet long-range needs;
• Supervising two to three budget analysts and their respective program areas;
• Monitoring and projecting regular, seasonal and overtime Personal Service expenditures and Non-Personal Services.
• Processing requests for DOB approvals of hiring exemptions, position actions, and B-1184 purchase proposals.
• Ad hoc Assignments – this position also has responsibility for analysis of high priority issues as they occur in the Agency.
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.