Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher AND a valid New York State teaching certificate in Special Education AND the ability to perform moderate to heavy lifting of children.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
• Certification as a Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI); and
• Experience and training in the areas of orientation and mobility or Braille.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s School for the Blind is seeking applicants for an Instructor position. Major duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare educational reports;
• Teach socially acceptable behaviors, and employ techniques such as behavior modifications and positive reinforcements;
• Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities;
• Confer with parents, administrators, and other professionals to develop Individualized Education Programs designed to promote students’ educational, physical and social development;
• Instruct students via lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in different subject areas that provide students the opportunities to observe, question, and investigate;
• Employ special educational strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of sensory and perceptual motor skills, language, cognition and memory;
• Teach personal development skills such as goal setting, independence, and self-advocacy;
• Supervise Special Education Assistants; and
• Perform other duties as requested by the Head of Department.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. This will be a permanent, 10-month position. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $66,177-$84,373 through annual performance advances
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by January 12, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BDC-298/00132) of the position and shift in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by January 12, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BDC-298/00132) of the position and shift in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.