Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
50 Wolf Road
Minimum Qualifications To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
If a viable eligible list does not exist, a provisional appointment may be made in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must have taken the latest Construction Specialist 1 (Transportation) examination, held October 28, 2017 or October 29, 2017, and be reachable on the resultant eligible list in order to be considered for permanent appointment to the position.
***Candidates must provide the agency with their test registration code***
The minimum requirements for taking the examination are:
Three months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a Principal Drafting Technician (General), Principal Drafting Technician (Structural), Principal Engineering Technician, Principal Engineering Technician (Soils), Mapping Technician 3, Mapping Technologist 1, Senior Engineering Materials Analyst, Senior Engineering Materials Chemist, Materials Testing Specialist 1, and Engineering Geologist.
In order to be appointed from the eligible list, candidates must have one year of service in the titles described in the minimum qualifications listed above.
Note: Employee’s currently in an Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation), SG-20, position may be eligible for reassignment. Candidates must be in their title for at least one year and have successfully completed probation or be otherwise eligible for reassignment in accordance with Civil Service Law. Selected candidate will be reassigned in their current Assistant Engineer, SG-20, title. Reassignment will be subject to approval of the gaining and contributing Divisions.
Duties Description The incumbents for these positions will perform technical engineering work which requires knowledge of engineering principles and the ability to apply this knowledge in the design, inspection and evaluation of roads, structures, and related equipment and materials. Incumbents work independently in planning and scheduling work, selecting work methodology, evaluating information and preparing reports and recommendations, completing plans, and performing field work.
The incumbents for these positions may also utilize strong empirical knowledge and extensive experience in performing complex civil engineering technical activities; review the technical accuracy of plans and documentation in contracts and proposals; prepare cost estimates of materials and supplies for projects; gather and evaluate research data; and prepare novel and difficult design models. Duties and tasks may include but are not limited to the following:
• Assists in preparing designs, proposals, specifications, and cost and quantity estimates for highway, bridge and other transportation infrastructure work.
• Prepares and reviews complex 3D, or higher such as 5D CADD models of highways and bridges.
• Performs and verifies physical inspections, tests and measurements for accuracy and completion.
• Oversees the evaluation of construction alternatives for cost, effectiveness, maintenance needs and costs, and impact on surrounding areas.
• Assists in establishing and implementing quality control requirements and quality assurance programs to ensure that designs and materials used on a project meet the specified quality requirements.
• Reviews and approves technical staff work for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with procedures, guidelines, and commonly accepted engineering principles.
• Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the Department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Specific duties will be discussed at the time of
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
50 Wolf Road, Region One Administration
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume no later than
January 5, 2018 to:
Attn: Sue Harbers
New York State Department of Transportation
Region One Administration
50 Wolf Road, 1S50
Albany, NY 12232