Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment from the current Civil Service eligible list.
OR for Transfer Opportunity
Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Psychologist 1 and be eligible for a lateral transfer; OR be in a title deemed appropriate for transfer via Section 70.1 transfer of the Civil Service Law.
In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the following promotion or open competitive qualifications may be qualified for a provisional appointment.
? Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Psychology Assistant 3
? Candidates must possess a master’s in Psychology degree from a regionally accredited college or university psychology program which prepares graduates for clinical positions in the field of psychology in a clinical, forensic or community mental health, or school setting. Qualifying degree programs must have included coursework in psychological and behavioral assessment and treatment modalities for psychological and behavioral disorders; AND you must also have two years of supervised post master’s degree experience in a clinical, forensic, community mental health or school setting, where your primary duties were providing psychological services as described below.
Qualifying experience for a Psychologist 1 is considered to be direct experience with individuals and families or groups in a hospital, psychiatric hospital, psychiatric clinic, community mental health clinic, correctional facility, intermediate care facility, institutional or school setting, or community based residential and/or day program, under the supervision of a doctoral level psychologist, licensed psychologist, licensed physician, licensed psychiatrist, psychiatric nurse practitioner, or licensed clinical social worker (or in the case of school psychologists with permanent certification from the New York State Education Department, working under the supervision of a school principal or similar administrator).
Primary Duties must have included activities such as administering assessments and tests for diagnostic psychological evaluations or completing functional behavioral assessments; developing behavior support plans; or writing psychological treatment plans; and/or providing psychological counseling and treatment in one or more of the following areas: mental and/or emotional disorders, cognitive disorders, behavioral disorders, intellectual disabilities, developmental disabilities, alcoholism, addictions, substance abuse disorders, sex offender assessment and treatment, or forensic mental health.
Non-qualifying experience include but are not limited to, experience in experimental psychology, research psychology, industrial psychology, organizational psychology, health psychology, utilization review, guidance counseling, pastoral counseling, or as a habilitation specialist or instructor of psychology.
Qualifying degree programs/majors include, but are not limited to the following: clinical psychology, clinical forensic psychology, community psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology and child psychology.
Non-qualifying master’s and doctoral degrees include, but not limited to the following: education, counseling, clinical counseling, clinical hypnosis, community counseling, educational counseling, forensic counseling, guidance counseling, human relations, marriage and family counseling, professional counseling, professional counseling, rehabilitative counseling, school counseling, student and personal services, mental health counseling, psychological counseling, pastoral psychology, transpersonal psychology, neuroscience, experimental psychology, industrial psychology and organizational psychology.
o A doctoral degree in a clinical field of psychology may be substituted for both the education and experience requirements above.
o A clinical psychology practicum, externship or clinical field-work assignment that was completed as part of a qualifying master of psychology degree program, may be substituted for one year of the required experience. **
o A certificate of advanced study in a clinical field of psychology or school psychology may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
? **A practicum, externship, or clinical fieldwork assignment is defined as a direct clinical experience providing psychological services in a hospital, psychiatric hospital, psychiatric clinic, community mental health clinic, correctional facility, intermediate care facility, institutional or school setting or community based residential and/or day program: and must have been a component of a qualifying master of psychology degree program listed on the official transcript.
Note: If you are appointed provisionally, you must take the next scheduled Civil Service examination for this title, and your score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before you can be permanently appointed. If you do not pass the examination or achieve a reachable score, you may not be retained.
Duties Description Under the direct supervision of the Licensed Psychologist the candidate will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following tasks:
1) Attending job-related phone and video conferences, as well as off-site conferences when applicable.
2) Completing Level-of-Care assessments and tracking documents that are required to complete such assessments
3) Assisting with eligibility determinations, including knowledge and proficiency of the OPWDD eligibility guidelines as well as relevant TABS-based settings.
4) Communicating with families, agencies, and related entities either via phone or in-person regarding eligibility guidelines and the front door process.
5) Participating in meetings related to the ongoing functioning of the DDRO.
6) Maintaining up-to-date mandatory trainings as directed by New York State.
7) Knowledge of the Front Door process as well as familiarity with OPWDD regulations, policies and procedures.
8) Administration of psychological testing when applicable.
9) Assisting with tasks related to the intensive Behavior Service waiver programs, START services, and Medicaid Fair Hearings
Additional Comments • For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• If the number of interested candidates is three or fewer, the agency at its discretion may nominate a qualified employee for noncompetitive promotion under the provisions of Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Position may be eligible for Loan Forgiveness via the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program:
For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.