Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
681 Clarkson Avenue
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the current Civil Service eligible list for this title;
Be eligible for transfer pursuant to Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law by having at least one year of permanent service in a qualifying title within two salary grades of the grade 16 level.
Duties Description A Plant Utilities Engineer 2 performs the activities and tasks of a Plant Utilities Engineer 1. In addition, a Plant Utilities Engineer 2 schedules, plans, and lays out work and supervises the activities of a crew of skilled and semi-skilled employees who are involved in the operation and maintenance of heat generating, air-conditioning, HVAC and electrical equipment. Incumbents are also responsible for oversight of systems maintenance, health and safety issues, and energy conservation projects.
• Schedules staff to insure adequate coverage on all
• Assigns staff to maintenance and repair projects
providing oral and written instructions including
technical manuals, blueprints, specifications and plans.
• Observes and inspects work while in progress and when
completed to insure the proper use of materials,
workmanship, that safety regulations and relevant
codes are followed, that schedules are met and that
work is performed according to plan.
• Assists staff by providing training, instruction and
assistance in the performance of specific tasks.
• Implements and enforces operation and safety
procedures, policies and schedules for all "Engineering
• Reviews specifications and drawings for outside
contractors and inside work.
• Inspects work performed by outside contractors to
insure conformance to project plans and specifications.
• Periodically inspects plant equipment and operations to
insure proper maintenance, scheduling, and safe and
• Schedules preventive maintenance and repair work.
• Prepares estimates of materials and parts needs and
• Orders or directs the ordering of materials, equipment
and parts, and maintains tool and equipment
inventory according to prescribed procedures.
• Maintains written records and narrative reports of work
performed and accounts for labor and materials used.
• Reviews equipment log and daily operating records to
insure proper and economical operation.
• Implements changes in operating procedures to
• Oversees the maintenance of computerized energy
management systems, Direct Digital controls,
installation of microprocessor based hardware and
software and the performance of system and
• Oversees the performance of minor asbestos removal
projects to facilitate repairs and/or supervise any
asbestos removal project being carried out by other
employees or private contractors.
• Supervises the handling of various types of hazardous
materials, such as refrigerants, freon, gas, fuel oil,
solvents, antifreeze, biocides, nitrates, amines,
cyclohexylamine, marpholine, diethylamino ethanol,
acids, caustic soda, regulated waste and refuse.
• Supervises the response to incidents having potential
environmental impact and/or safety concerns, such as
chemical spills, oil spills, and blowouts, may be called
upon to implement evacuation plans in emergency
situations and maintains "right to know" library,
response to inquiries, assessment of problems and
provision of advice regarding right to know incidents.
• Works in confined space situations using personal
protective equipment and supervises others working in
confined space using personal protective equipment.
• Enforces energy conservation protocol.
• Supervises the installation of new equipment and/or
modification of existing equipment to operate at peak
• Assists in the preparation of the annual operating
budget by recommending the Engineering
Department's budget requirements including repair
and maintenance needs and staffing, material and
• Periodically prepares standard written evaluations of
subordinate employee work performance.
• Prepares documentation in support of employee
• Prepares, reviews and signs employee time cards and
verifies contractor time records.
Additional Comments Background Investigation Requirements:
Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC), which includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application, may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information, and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees will be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
This position is eligible for a Downstate Adjustment of $3,026.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
681 Clarkson Avenue
Notes on ApplyingPlease indicate the Title, Vacancy ID # and Location of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email or fax. Please complete the Office of Mental Health Employment Application and submit it along with your other application materials via fax, mail or the Human Resources email address noted above.