Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications The ideal candidate would hold a Master’s Degree in criminal justice or political science, with an emphasis on research design and methodology. Proficiency in Excel to extract, manipulate, and analyze data and some experience in Statistical Software (STATA) and preparing written documents that summarize the results of data analyses is required.
Duties Description The Confidential Legal Assistant will assist in the implementation of the Hurrell-Harring v. New York settlement agreement (“HH settlement agreement”) undertaken by the Office of Indigent Legal Services (“Office”). The incumbent of this position will serve as Hurrell-Harring Research Specialist (“HH Research Specialist”) in the Office’s Hurrell-Harring Implementation Unit (“HH Implementation Unit”) and report to the Chief HH Implementation Attorney, who works under the guidance of the Director of the Office of Indigent Legal Services (“Director”) and agency Counsel (“Counsel”). The incumbent will work closely with the Hurrell-Harring Senior Researcher (“HH Senior Researcher”) and other members of the HH Implementation Unit to satisfy the planning, investigatory, assessment, monitoring and reporting provisions of the settlement agreement as undertaken by the Office and improving the quality of mandated representation under article 18-B of the County Law. All case-related information and knowledge obtained in the performance of these duties is highly confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege.
Specific duties and responsibilities would include:
• Working with the HH Implementation Unit to assist the eleven (11) providers of public defense services in the five Hurrell-Harring settlement counties to improve their ability to collect, maintain, and report on data and information about attorney caseloads, quality of attorney representation, outcomes associated with providing attorney representation at defendants’ first court appearance, and eligibility applications for assignment of counsel;
• Working with the HH Senior Researcher to conduct statistical analysis and prepare reports on the data the eleven (11) providers report to the Office;
• Working with the HH Implementation Unit to analyze and understand quantitative data that has been collected and develop tools and strategies for obtaining more nuanced qualitative information about the services providers deliver;
• Assisting the HH Senior Researcher in analyzing information obtained through structured interviews, court observations, etc.
• Undertaking such other activities as may be requested by the Director and Counsel in furtherance of the Office’s overall responsibility to implement the HH settlement agreement and make efforts to improve the quality of indigent legal services representation under article 18-B.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.