Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Associate’s degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred. Some experience in the field of criminal justice and a demonstrated commitment to criminal justice reform. Detail oriented and analytical. Proficiency in MS Office. Able to work well independently and within a group
Duties Description The Confidential Legal Assistant will assist in the implementation of the Hurrell-Harring v. New York settlement agreement (“HH settlement agreement”) undertaken by the Office of Indigent Legal Services (“Office”). The incumbent of this position will serve as Hurrell-Harring Implementation Analyst) (“HH Implementation Analyst”) in the Office’s Hurrell-Harring Implementation Unit (“HH Implementation Unit”) and report to the Chief HH Implementation Attorney, who works under the guidance of the Director of the Office of Indigent Legal Services (“Director”) and agency Counsel (“Counsel”). The holder of this position will be primarily responsible for assisting the Chief HH Implementation Attorney and working closely with the other staff of the HH Implementation Unit to achieving the goals of the Hurrell-Harring settlement agreement, which are: 1) providing counsel at all criminal arraignments in the Hurrell-Harring counties; 2) improving the quality of mandated criminal defense representation in the Hurrell-Harring counties; 3) implementing caseload standards for the mandated criminal defense providers in the Hurrell-Harring counties; and 4) implementing statewide criteria and procedures for determining assigned counsel eligibility in criminal cases. All case-related information and knowledge obtained in the performance of these duties is highly confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege.
Specific duties and responsibilities would include:
• Under the direction of the HH Chief Implementation Attorney, collaborates with other members of the HH Implementation Unit to assist in the implementation the HH settlement agreement;
• Assists in maintaining, reviewing, and organizing documents, files and other materials (hard copy and electronic) for the HH Implementation Unit to implement the HH settlement agreement’s reforms;
• Assists in gathering and preparing background and supporting materials for the development of written plans and assessment reports and charts as required under the HH settlement agreement;
• Assists in monitoring the progress of the Hurrell-Harring counties and mandated criminal defense providers toward achieving the goals set forth in the written plans and in the HH settlement agreement, including collecting and analyzing relevant documents, files, and other material;
• At the direction of the Chief HH Implementation Attorney, performs administrative tasks such as maintaining and organizing HH Implementation Unit files, reports, and schedules and contacting officials, indigent legal service providers and others to arrange meetings;
• Undertakes such other activities as may be requested by the Director and Counsel in furtherance of the Office’s overall responsibility to implement the HH settlement agreement and make efforts to improve the quality of indigent legal services representation under article 18-B
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.