Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have NYS professional or permanent certification in Special Education, Students with Disabilities (any parenthetic), Teacher of the Deaf, or Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to candidates who have the following:
• A Master’s degree or higher in the education field;
• NYS certification as a School Administrator and Supervisor or eligibility for School Administrator and Supervisor certification;
• Experience working with deaf students;
• The ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language;
• Experience supervising staff in an education setting; and
• Experience implementing the Common Core Learning Standards.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s School for the Deaf (NYSSD) is seeking applicants to fill a Head of Department position. The incumbent of this position will oversee curriculum and instruction at the NYSSD. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assist with the day-to-day management of the Pre-K – 12 academic program;
• Oversee and assist education staff with the collection and interpretation of assessment data;
• Coach Instructors in instructional practices to meet the needs of the student population;
• “Push-in” to Instructors to observe instructional practices, and provide feedback and modeling;
• Provide coaching, instruction, and support in the use of American Sign Language;
• Act as a member of the Leadership Team and Multidisciplinary Team;
• Provide professional development and updates on curriculum implementation, time lines, and assessment changes; and
• Supervise education staff, as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent, 10-month position with the option to work up to 31 days in the summer. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $73,549-$90,716 with annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by April 23, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (RDC-222/00101) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by April 23, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (RDC-222/00101) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.