Office of Family and Community Engagement
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Provisional appointment: For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree in education, public policy, public administration, or other field related to education AND six years of educational and/or administrative experience in an educational program or organization, or in a government or community based organization; this experience must have involved serving/supporting intercultural, multicultural, and/or disadvantaged populations or related initiatives. Two years of this experience must have been in a management capacity involving policy development and decision making. A doctorate in an education related field may substitute for two years of the general experience.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Director of Family and Community Engagement position in the Office of Family and Community Engagement within the Office of Access, Equity and Community Engagement Services. This Office is responsible for assisting students through the building of cradle to career/college strategies aimed at eliminating the achievement gap. This Office works to establish and expand access to educational opportunities, and ultimately life opportunities, for boys and young men of color in New York State. Under the direction of the Assistant Commissioner for the Office of Access, Equity and Community Engagement Services, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for the comprehensive strategy and overall implementation of all family and community engagement initiatives within and on behalf of NYSED. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop, guide and monitor implementation of a comprehensive strategy for family and community engagement initiatives;
• Work collaboratively with colleagues within NYSED to implement cross functional strategies and initiatives;
• Direct and manage the Office of Family and Community Engagement;
• Supervise and support all staff in the performance of their duties;
• Provide policy and program guidance to school districts, colleges and universities and community based organizations;
• Direct and oversee the grant and contract proposal review process and approve award recommendations;
• Oversee the review and approval of program budget proposals, amendment requests and final budget documents;
• Direct and coordinate administrative and fiscal processes and procedures for the Office in collaboration with the Assistant Commissioner;
• Coordinate the development and preparation of reports on the programs and initiatives of the Office for presentation to the Board of Regents, Commissioner, Governor’s Office and legislature, as appropriate;
• Acquire and maintain knowledge of appropriate State legislation and regulations and conduct review and analysis of proposed legislation and regulations for recommendations to amend legislation and regulations, as necessary;
• Communicate effectively and maintain working relationships with State and federal officials, local governments, business and community based organizations; and
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required.
*Leads to maximum salary of $132,054 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail submissions are preferred). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. You must include the Box number (OHE-597/21202) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION DEADLINE: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (e-mail submissions are preferred). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. You must include the Box number (OHE-597/21202) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.