Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
150 Riverhead Road
Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Four years of experience in the operation and maintenance of a wide variety of complex self-propelled, heavy construction equipment to include at least 3 of the following: bulldozer, excavator, heavy dump truck with plow, front-end loader, backhoe or other heavy construction equipment of similar complexity.*
Must have and maintain a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in accordance with New York State requirements.
Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED.
At the time of hire, must meet any and all New York State or Federal certification/license requirements to perform the duties of a heavy equipment operator – current and as amended.
Must have and maintain a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
Must be comfortable working at heights such as climbing ladders, working on scaffolds, platforms and lifts.
Must be able to push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects and equipment (50+ lbs).
Must be able to work outside in various temperatures and inclement weather for extended periods of time.
Must be able to work in confined spaces in accordance with training and duty requirements.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Must be able to operate and maintain tools, machinery and equipment required for craft to which assigned.
May be required to acquire and maintain a military driver’s license to operate military vehicles and equipment in accordance with NGB standards to include medical evaluation requirements – current and as amended.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas in the performance of duties to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed. Currently SECRET clearance is required for flight line access.
* Other combinations of education and work experience, including military, may be considered, however, candidate must demonstrate direct relevance to the job duties noted above. The requirement to prove qualification shall rest with the applicant.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current statutes, agency requirements and directives. Failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action and/or termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Directorate for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
General Mechanics (Heavy Equipment Operator) perform the same activities as the positions in the general title but will also have duties with a concentration in a specialized subject matter, requiring substantial and specific knowledge and experience in that field.
Under general supervision, the General Mechanic (Heavy Equipment Operator) performs journeyman work in the Heavy Equipment Operator trade. Incumbent will also be required to perform skilled and semiskilled duties in a combination of other trades.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with National Guard Bureau (NGB) standards, specifically those requirements of the Master Cooperative Agreement between the NGB and the DMNA, as well as agency and labor contract duties and responsibilities – current and as amended. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
• Operate, repair, maintain and inspect a variety of self-propelled and other equipment in construction such as backhoes, bulldozers, heavy dump trucks, hydraulic excavators, forklifts, front-end loaders, graders, large compactor rollers, heavy snow plows, sweepers, tractor-mounted mowers and truck low-bed trailer combinations.
• Coordinate, assign and instruct other maintenance employees on a daily basis as appropriate in general maintenance, repair, installation and construction activities involving the use of or relating to heavy equipment and assigned responsibilities.
• Perform general grounds maintenance tasks such as clearing sites, mowing lawns, maintaining roads and sidewalks, snow and ice removal, collection/pick-up of trash and other obstructions from in and around the building and surrounding areas.
• May perform supervisory duties at assigned facility/s including but not limited to training, direct supervision, and assist in performance evaluations of subordinate staff. May fill-in for supervisor during absences as needed.
• Periodic overtime will be required – especially during winter months.
• Periodic travel may be required to other facilities; to attend training; or other requirements related to duties as needed.
• Other job duties as assigned.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
In addition: Gabreski ANGB receives a Downstate Adjustment of $3,026 annually.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note any specific licenses or certifications in a skilled trade.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail.
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
FAX to: (518) 786-6085
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED IN STATE HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (MNHS) BY May 18, 2018.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.