Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
One (1) year of full-time permanent service in a higher clerical, keyboarding, secretarial, or paraprofessional title position allocated to a Salary Grade (SG) - 9 or higher. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel**.
Associate's degree from a regionally accredited college or university; plus one (1) year of full-time experience in clerical, keyboarding, secretarial or similar duties. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel**.
Three (3) years of full-time experience in clerical, keyboarding, secretarial or similar duties in which some duties included data collection and analysis. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel**.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed - dependent on current regulation, a SECRET or other clearance may be required.
Must possess a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York. Must report any changes to supervisory chain and State Human Resources (MNHS).
Must be able to read and write in English.
Required to have or successfully complete within 90 days of receiving computer access, all training associated with assigned data systems such as SFS, GFEBS and the Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS) and/or other computer training as related to duty assignments.
* Other combinations of education and work experience, including military, may be considered, however, candidate must demonstrate a combination totaling at least three (3) years full-time experience/education and direct relevance to the job duties noted.
** Should related regulations, procedures and requirements change, additional training and/or certifications may be required.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current , and as amended, agency, statutory and NGB requirements and directives; failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action, including possible termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Management for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Program Aides perform a variety of substantive professional, technical, and administrative duties under the supervision and guidance of senior professional staff in agency-specific programs or in administrative areas such as finance, budgeting, facilities or human resources. The Program Aide performs lower level professional assignments that require specific program knowledge and closely resemble those typically performed by professional staff in the same organization.
Program Aides work under the supervision and guidance of professional staff in administrative or agency-specific programs. They exercise a considerable amount of independent judgment in the performance of duties and application of various State and federal laws, procedures, rules, regulations, and guidelines that require interpretation.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with all current and amended, DMNA policies and procedures, federal and state statutes, and where applicable, the contract bargaining agreement and requirements of the National Guard Bureau (NGB), specifically the Master Cooperative Agreement (MCA) and supporting regulations. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Preparation and review of written communication which may be in various formats.
• Assist in preparing short-term and long-range work objectives and goals. Assist in the review, evaluation, and analysis of a variety of reports and records specific to the assignment.
• Will perform duties independently as well as in team setting.
• Work on computers utilizing various software and database systems.
• May train and/or supervise staff.
• Research laws, rules, and regulations to find alternative approaches to administrative problems or issues.
• Collect, monitor and evaluate data for deficiencies and assist in correcting problems
• Create tables and charts; and draft reports to document analyses and procedures.
• Monitor the use of funds to ensure compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
• Gather, review, and evaluate information required by professionals to conduct financial and program audits.
• Draft procedures and provide guidance on requirements for budget revisions and amendments.
• Compile, tabulate, and verify financial and statistical data, such as financial projections and performance indicators, to be used in the preparation and analysis of agency budget submissions or in response to questions.
• Assist in monitoring agency expenditures by comparing expenditures with DOB guidelines, the State Finance Law, agency programs and policies, previous budget requests and applicable federal policies and rules.
• Review budget data prepared by agency program staff for completeness and responsiveness to budgetary needs and projections. Confer with program administrators to exchange information and resolve questions.
• May assist with the reconciliation of various records to include credit cards, purchasing, travel and other documentation.
• May be required to work with and maintain records associated with or perform data entry for various data systems such as the Statewide Financial System (SFS) and Maintenance Connection (MC software), a work order program.
• Will complete and attend training as required.
• Periodic overtime may be required; at times with short notice due to emergency military response.
• Periodic travel may be required using various modes of transportation.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; especially MSWord and Excel.
• Must have strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize work assignments.
• Ability to perform tasks with minimal supervision.
• Experience in multi-tasking and prioritizing multiple deadlines.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to prepare written material in a clear and concise form.
• Ability to train and supervise subordinates and other staff.
• Ability to work independently or with other individuals in a project/team setting in accordance with supervisory guidance and direction.
• Will be required to appropriately handle and manage confidential information.
• Ability to interact well with different groups of people, including co-workers, management, both Federal and State personnel and the public.
• Ability to read and write in English.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note any specific licenses or certifications in a skilled trade.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail.
E-mail to: email@example.com
FAX to: (518) 786-6085
Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED IN STATE HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (MNHS) BY APRIL 24, 2018.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.