Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
317 Lenox Avenue
Minimum Qualifications Eligible for lateral or 70.1 transfer by having one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in an appropriate title.
Note: Candidates who are currently on an appropriate eligible list for the Consultant in Physical Standards & Safety in Harlem need not submit an application for this posting unless they are applying directly as a result of the transfer qualifications listed above.
Duties Description Duties of the position will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
• Conduct annual inspections and investigate resident complaints of homeless shelters throughout New York State to ensure facilities comply with applicable laws, department regulations, fire department specifications, safety requirements and local building codes; identify potential health and safety issues; oversee the development of corrective action plans; and conduct follow-up inspections to ensure that deficiencies are corrected;
• Monitor the construction of new facilities and structures proposed for rehabilitation, review costs and feasibility of planned construction within the framework of applicable codes and standards. Conduct periodic site visits to ensure that construction is completed consistent with all appropriate regulations;
• Analyze proposed and existing operational plans for compliance with State regulations and administrative directives relating to nutrition and food service components, staffing standards, fire/safety environmental concerns, and resident security. Conduct scheduled site visits to ensure consistency with all applicable guidelines;
• Respond directly to correspondence related to single adult and family shelter questions regarding regulations, administrative guidelines, and other issues;
• Work with local social services districts, other State agencies, and other divisions within the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance to create a consistent statewide approach to the development of regulations pertaining to shelter safety, security, and environmental concerns;
• Provide technical assistance pertaining to building construction and rehabilitation, operational plans, fire and safety issues, and the applicability and interpretation of State and local rules, codes and regulations to facility operators, local officials, and other public and private agencies;
• Provide training to shelter operators and staff to familiarize them with policies and procedures, as well as State and local codes and regulations regarding the standard operations of shelters throughout New York State.
Additional Comments Full-time permanent appointments will be made. Statewide travel may be required. If certified by Civil Service, mandatory reemployment list candidates must be considered first for appointment to this title.
This position includes $3026 in location pay.
**Candidates should reference posting #18-074 when submitting your application.** If submitting electronically, please reference posting #18-074 as part of your subject line.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please send a cover letter and resume. Include a current, Civil Service title and grade level and clearly state how you meet the minimum qualifications.
You may be required to provide acceptable proof of education, experience, credential and/or license to demonstrate that you meet the minimum qualifications for appointment to this position.
Applicants will be required to prove their eligibility for employment based upon acceptance of a position in accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
If you are a retiree currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your response.
In accordance with state law, Governor’s Executive Order No. 6 and Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance does not discriminate against disabled individuals. If you are disabled and require reasonable accommodation at the time of the interview, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity Development in Albany at (518) 473-8555 or in New York City at (212) 961-8216.