Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
As working supervisors, housekeepers perform a variety of custodial and housekeeping tasks, including requisitioning linens and household supplies and cleaning buildings or areas of large buildings in State facilities. Housekeepers supervise lower-level cleaning staff.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs a variety of cleaning and care tasks including, but not limited to, the following:
• Picks up and removes hazardous articles which may be on floors,
furniture, and equipment and places them in designated
receptacles or in appropriate places.
• Using mops, brushes, and other cleaning implements, washes
floors, corridors, stairwells, walls, partitions, and windows from
the inside of buildings.
• Using manual and/or mechanical equipment, vacuums and waxes
floors and shampoos carpets.
• Using hand-operated equipment and detergents, scrubs and
• Using appropriate equipment, such as ladders, washes light
fixtures and replaces light bulbs.
• Polishes wood and metal fixtures and equipment.
• Supervises lower-level custodial personnel in the cleaning and
care of an assigned area:
• Assigns specific tasks and gives instructions to custodial
• Provides assistance in resolving work problems and reviews work
while in progress and upon completion.
• Reviews time and accrual records of subordinate cleaners.
• Evaluates employee performance, noting problems and
• Requisitions and dispenses linens, household supplies, and
equipment, maintains appropriate inventories.
• Reports need for building repairs and recommends to superior the
repair and replacement of furniture, building fixtures, and
• Working knowledge of the properties of various cleaning
• Working knowledge of household supply requisitioning and
inventory practices and techniques.
• Basic knowledge of the principles of supervision.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to use various cleaning equipment and products.
• Ability to recognize the need for building and household repairs.
• Ability to maintain appropriate household inventories.
• Ability to stoop, bend, stretch, and stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to perform manual labor requiring frequent medium and
occasional heavy effort.
• Ability to communicate orally to exchange information.
• Ability to supervise a small staff.
• Valid NYS Driver’s License.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Human Resources Office