Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Two (2) years of permanent service as an Office Assistant 2, or other clerical title allocated to a State Grade 9 or higher. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
Four (4) years of full-time experience in a clerical, secretarial, or office administration position performing office operation tasks such as bookkeeping, accounting, telephone communication, preparation of correspondence, file management, scheduling of meetings and travel, data entry, and/or similar duties. Must have some supervisory experience. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel.*
Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York. May be required to utilize vehicles for site visits and other travel. Must report any changes in driver’s license status to supervisory chain of command and/or Human Resources.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed - dependent on current regulation, a SECRET clearance may be required – especially at Air Bases when flight line access requires SECRET.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Must be familiar with and be able to independently use commonly utilized software programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
Required to have or successfully complete within 90 days of receiving computer access, all SFS, SLMS and other computer training as related to position duties.
* Other combinations of education and work experience, including military, may be considered, however, candidate must demonstrate a combination totaling at least four (4) years of full-time experience, including some supervisory experience, computer proficiency and direct relevance to the job duties noted above.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current agency requirements and directives noted above; failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action, including possible termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Directorate for current information on minimum requirements for appointment. Please contact State Human Resources Directorate for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Working under the supervision of senior staff, Office Assistants perform office support and clerical work to meet the requirements of agency programs. Such work may consist of, but is not limited to: performing data entry; math or calculations; mail, supply, and inventory functions; keyboarding and other document preparation tasks; answering telephones; completing forms; assisting customers; creating or assisting in the preparation of reports, charts, graphs, and tables; and performing other related activities. This position will be assigned in Human Resources where the preponderance of activities will be related to personnel transaction matters. The incumbent will handle significant amounts of personally identifying and other confidential information.
The Office Assistant 3 performs all duties of the Office Assistant 1 and 2; and is considered a second-level supervisor who will provide supervision to assigned subordinate staff as necessary. The Office Assistant 3 will be responsible for much of the clerical or administrative operations of the unit. The incumbent will provide support work requiring substantive knowledge of the program area which is often complex in nature. The Office Assistant 3 will be expected to have exceptional computer skills and knowledge of current office technology. The Office Assistant 3 is expected to perform tasks with considerable independence and have the ability to make comprehensive, thought out decisions.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with all current and amended, DMNA policies and procedures, federal and state statutes, and where applicable, the contract bargaining agreement and requirements of the National Guard Bureau (NGB), specifically the Master Cooperative Agreement (MCA) and supporting regulations. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel.
In this assignment, duties and responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
• Will be an agency liaison with the Business Service Center (BSC) for the processing of all personnel transactions primarily related to payroll, time and attendance, employee status, and benefits matters.
• Answer questions from and provide information to various parties regarding agency activities, transactions, and procedures. Refer inquiries as necessary.
• Type, proofread, review, and correct correspondence, documents, records, and other written material.
• Must be able to work with confidential data in a responsible and professional manner to include payroll and benefits information.
• May participate in the hiring process for subordinate staff, may prepare or assist in the preparation of the budget for unit, may maintain an active inventory for the unit.
• Work closely with human resources staff and provide coaching, mentoring, counseling and provide supporting documentation and information to labor relations when disciplinary action is necessary.
• Coordinate agency hiring processes in accordance with procedures.
• Contact clients, applicants, and others to set up interviews, hearings, or similar interactions.
• Maintain and manage the maintenance of a variety of personnel office records, such as the personal history file, position control file, title folders, health insurance application files, insurance claim files, correspondence files, and examination files.
• Conduct new employee orientation sessions.
• Provide employees and managers with information on and interpretations of the agency’s personnel procedures and policies, the personnel transaction process, attendance rules, employee programs, or other aspects of the personnel system.
• May process employee benefit claims and transactions.
• Coordinate attendance and leave processes and audit/reconcile time records.
• Play a significant role in the processing and auditing of payrolls handled by the agency.
• Provide training assistance on matters related to personnel, attendance and leave, and payroll.
• Will assist with training requirements for the agency to include data management on the Statewide Learning Management System (SLSM) as well as assisting with developing and providing training opportunities.
• May perform supervisory duties including but not limited to assigning work to staff and assure necessary coverage for assignments and office.
• Periodic overtime may be required; at times with short notice, especially during state military emergency responses to domestic operations.
• Periodic travel may be required using various modes of transportation.
• Other job duties as assigned.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note any specific licenses or certifications in a skilled trade.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail.
E-mail to: email@example.com
FAX to: (518) 786-6085
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED IN STATE HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (MNHS) BY APRIL 26, 2018.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.