Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must have three years of experience* in the visitor/customer service environment in a cultural institution.
*Substitution: College study may be substituted for up to two years of the general experience on the basis of 30 semester credit hours being equal to one year.
Duties Description The New York State Canal Corporation, a subsidiary of the New York Power Authority, is responsible for overseeing and maintaining the 524-mile waterway for boating, recreation, tourism and agriculture. The New York State Canal System, includes the Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga-Seneca canals, linking the Hudson River with the Great Lakes, the Finger Lakes and Lake Champlain.
The Visitor Services Assistant 2 (VSA 2) will provide specialized programming for students and other groups on all aspects of the NYS Canal System including its history, economic contributions, ongoing relevance, environmental stewardship, and other relevant information. The VSA 2 also staffs informational booths on behalf of the Canal Corporation at trade shows, festivals, and other venues and events as required, and provides demonstrations of a working “model lock” in classroom or other contextual environments.
The duties of the Visitor Services Assistant 2 will include, but not be limited to, the following:
Provides classroom instruction to schools on the following topics:
• History of the NYS Canal System.
• Life aboard a Canal boat.
• Environmental stewardship as it relates to New York’s waterways.
• Working of a Canal System lock, with or without a working model lock.
Presents interpretation of historic canal vessels
• Provides information on historic canal vessels as guest “crew” or interpretive staff, at public events and answer questions about life aboard a canal boat.
• Provides tours of historic canal vessels at public events.
• Provides rope fender-making demonstrations at public events.
Attends trade shows, festivals, and other venues and events
• Promotes the NYS Canal System through presentation of exhibits and materials.
• Answers questions from members of the public about the Canal System, its physical characteristics, attractions, amenities, and events.
• Encourages visitation to the NYS Canal System by extolling the benefits, beauty, and history of communities across the canal corridor.
Provides assistance and support at public events, media events, and festivals
• Assists with transportation and/or set-up of materials, displays, banners, staging, and other promotional items.
• Answers questions and interacts with the general public.
• Performs research as it relates to the Canal Educational Program as needed.
• Provides logistical support as directed.
Supervision and Customer Service
• Supervises Section staff available on-site, including a student intern last season in support of Canal Educational Program presentations to ensure that scheduling and set up is managed appropriately.
• Resolves on-site issues for visitors, educators and staff.
• Works closely with Canal Educational Program management to plan, coordinate schedule and manage presentations, tours and events.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf you meet the minimum qualifications and are interested in the position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline of 4/27/18. Please include the position title, Visitor Services Assistant 2, in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email Accessibility@nypa.gov.