Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications One year of permanent competitive service in this title or in a title eligible transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Admission to the New York State Bar and current registration to practice law in New York State is required for continued employment. Disbarment or loss of registration shall result in termination or suspension of employment.
Duties Description The Senior Attorney in the Child Care Enforcement Bureau in the Division of Legal Affairs will provide legal support to the Division of Child Care Services (DCCS) in regards to its enforcement activities against non-compliant child day care providers.
The Senior Attorney will :
• Review requests from the Division of Child Care Services that seek sanctions against non-compliant child day care providers.
• Analyze each request to determine whether it contains sufficient evidence to proceed; and draft the required documents to impose sanctions as needed.
• Represent OCFS at administrative hearings.
• Responsible for a caseload: 200+ enforcement referrals per year.
• Assist in reviewing Criminal History Safety Assessments.
• Act as a resource for staff in the regional DCCS offices and DCCS Home Office regarding statutory and regulatory interpretations as well as answer similar questions from child day care providers.
• Assist the Attorney General’s office in defending the Office in various types of proceedings: Article 78s involving challenges to hearing decisions, Section 1983 Federal Civil Rights litigation and NYS Court of Claims matters.
Additional duties will be discussed in detail during the interview.
Additional Comments The Senior Attorney must be admitted to practice in NYS and have experience in litigation and or administrative proceedings. This person needs to be able to travel up to 20% each week within the five boroughs of New York City, Lower Hudson Valley, Nassau County, and Suffolk County. A valid NYS driver’s license is required.
If you are on the Legal Specialties eligible list you may receive a canvass letter. Candidates must have 24 months of satisfactory legal experience for appointment to the Senior Attorney position.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
52 Washington Street, 231 North
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter giving the Title, Location, and EOA Number of the position being applied for. Please provide your email address and your work, home and cell phone numbers. In order to qualify you for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by OCFS Personnel for your social security number to confirm your employment history.