Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
W. A. Harriman State Office Building Campus, Bldg. 5
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable on the Business Systems Analyst 3, G-25, Civil Service eligible list OR have one year of permanent competitive service as a Business Systems Analyst 3, G-25. Also open to NYS employees at or above G-23 who are eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second consecutive transfer resulting in an advancement of more than two grade levels. In order to qualify for Section 52.6 transfer, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in an administrative title as defined by Section 52.6. Examples of qualifying Section 52.6 titles include Associate Administrative Analyst, G-23; Business Systems Analyst 2, G-23; Contract Management Specialist 2, G-23 and Information Technology Specialist 3, G-23.
• Minimum three years of New York State service in one or more Statewide Financial System (SFS) business process area. Relevant experience within an Agency Finance Office, a control agency or SFS is required.
• Demonstrated business analysis experience; specifically designing solutions and writing functional specifications for SFS or another financial system.
• Analytical ability to critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, break out high-level information into details, or summarize from low-level information to a more general understanding. Validate data and identify gaps, problem areas or new topics for consideration. Understand and articulate complex end to end accounting cycles.
• Thorough understanding of the statutes, policy and procedures which govern the procurement and payment processes for State agencies.
• Experience with the SFS system and accounting guidelines, including OSC’s Guide to Financial Operations (GFO).
• Facilitation skills to work with individuals and groups to surface essential information; lead various requirements elicitation sessions, background meetings, configuration sessions, etc.; help negotiate priorities and resolve conflicts among project team, consultants and contractors, as well as with users and stakeholders.
• Experience writing test scenarios and test scripts.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to express complex information and concepts to project sponsors, managers, technical staff, consultants/contractors and agency users.
• At least 3 years of accounting and State budget experience as demonstrated by the following:
• Working knowledge of the NYS Budget; experience obtained by either working at Division of the Budget (DOB) or in a State Finance Office at any State agency – and
• State accounting related experience obtained while working in the Office of the State Comptroller (OSC) or in a State Finance Office at any State agency.
• Experience in system development and/or use of financial reports, including Balance Sheets, Income Statements, Cash Flow Reports, and Trial Balances.
• Successful completion of a minimum of at least one college level course in Accounting.
• Working knowledge of Federal Grants from a fiscal perspective.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
• Post-graduate degree.
Duties Description As a member of the Solution Services Division, the incumbent of this position will report to the Statewide Accounting Application Bureau Manager. The incumbent will supervise and undertake business systems analysis and the system implementation activities for the General Ledger, Cash Validation, Project Costing, and Budgeting business processes; and the integration with other processes in the cross-functional program environment of SFS.
In performing the duties for this position, the incumbent will supervise activities of other Business System Analysts and contract staff assigned to the Statewide Accounting Team, as well as work independently to accomplish tasks, projects and other assignments as directed by SFS senior management.
The Statewide Accounting Team works on complex accounting projects brought forth by multiple state agencies including OSC and DOB. This position requires extensive working knowledge of State accounting and budgeting coupled with strong business analysis skills. Significant State accounting and budgetary knowledge and experience is essential to be successful in this position.
• Serve as a subject matter expert in one or more SFS modules, including knowledge of the module’s functional integration with other SFS modules.
• Act as team liaison to affected State agencies, control agency representatives, and other SFS functional and technical teams.
• Analyze Business Cases received from agencies.
• Ensure end user requested customizations are appropriate for statewide implementation.
• Identify process improvement and re-engineering opportunities consistent with the objectives of the SFS Program and reflective of the expressed needs of the agency users.
• Requirements elicitation and validation to establish the desired core functionality.
• Collaborate with consultants, integrator/developer, and technical teams to represent requirements through various stages of design, testing and deployment.
• Design and document solutions that meet agency requirements.
• Monitor compliance with functional specifications and program deliverables ensure the design and development of the system functionality continues to meet the requirements of New York State.
• Create and document end to end testing documentation, including expected results related to all relevant accounting from General Ledger and Budgetary perspectives.
• Review results of testing to ensure quality and share pertinent results, issues and concerns with the end users.
• Serve in a second-level supervisory role and provide guidance to Business System Analysts, and contract staff as assigned.
• Manage system upgrade testing for one or more SFS modules.
• Coordinate and participate in Fiscal Year End Event activities which run 24 hours per day for several days.
Additional Comments You are advised that, should you accept a job offer with SFS, you may be required to be fingerprinted.
SFS is the organization that manages the enterprise financial system that supports the business of New York State government. SFS is an independent entity jointly governed by the Office of the State Comptroller and the Division of the Budget.
As one of the largest public sector enterprise financial systems in the United States, SFS processes an average of 22,000 voucher transactions daily and about $150 billion in payments per year using Oracle PeopleSoft technology. SFS staff provides extensive operational support to over 70 NYS agencies and authorities. SFS continues to work on major initiatives to expand the use of system functionality and works collaboratively with agencies and the NYS Office of Information Technology Services clusters that support IT systems across the State.
Currently, we are looking for motivated, highly qualified professionals who can lead and support ongoing transformational statewide information technology projects. Working as part of the team at SFS provides a great opportunity to be part of a mission driven organization that strongly supports its employees’ professional growth and development through training opportunities and knowledge sharing. You would also be able to see your work directly support the transformation of business processes supporting NYS government.
More About SFS
We are an innovative team of experts specializing in enterprise resource planning, financial operations, business analysis, information technology, project management, service delivery, training, change management and stakeholder relations. Since our inception, our focus has been to meet our customers’ financial processing needs, ensure the integrity of State financial data and lead future migrations from existing agency financial systems into one integrated financial management system.
To learn more about SFS, visit our website at www.sfs.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please send a cover letter and resume by e-mail, fax, or post office mail. Please include your current Civil Service title and grade and be sure to indicate that you are applying for the position of Business Systems Analyst 3, Ref. #18-01.