Minimum Qualifications Interested candidates must be reachable on the Associate Accountant, SG-23, Civil Service eligible list OR must be eligible to transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Individual must have one year of permanent competitive service in a qualifying title allocated to a grade 21 or higher.
Duties Description Calendar year end processing of 1099 data and associated reconciliations and reporting
• Perform numerous year end reconciliations of pension and member data used to create 1099-R records.
• Ensure accuracy of information across all systems (ERS, PFS, SB) and payment types.
• Ensure accuracy of FIRE totals, printed 1099s, and 1099 Register totals.
• Reprint suppressed records as needed.
• Transmit data to IRS and 1099s to payees by filing deadlines.
• Reconcile federal tax withholding totals across all reporting areas.
• Prepare 945 and 945-A and submit to IRS by filing deadline.
Provide customer service to the System’s members, pensioners, related 3rd parties, and agency and division management and staff. Respond to written and verbal requests for tax and other benefit-related information received from internal and external sources.
• Determine what information is being requested and for what purpose.
• Research and review records and existing policies and documents based on nature of request.
• Modify existing correspondence or documentation or create custom documentation as needed.
Review and prepare data and files for calendar year end processing.
• Review annually IRS instructions and publications related to 1099-R and 1042-S withholding and reporting, including but not limited to tax withholding tables, Form 945, Form W-4P, electronic filing specification.
• Identify forms or file format changes needed for the new reporting year.
• Provide business requirements to ITS and ensure timely implementation.
• Review monthly exception reports and various monthly and ad-hoc queries.
• Make adjustments to payee data.
• Review and reconcile annual queries to account for known system limitations.
• Conduct annual string test plan.
• Assess current year’s needs, plan and execute with ITS STAFF.
• Prepare file for creating FT pension 1099 records.
• Create listing of records to suppress.
• Perform annual Ancor address update.
Training and supervision.
• Develop a uniform training plan for Senior Accountants.
• Identify areas where additional training is needed.
• Work with staff to review and explain new or complex topics.
• Review staff’s work to ensure accuracy, quality and adherence to professional standards.
Annual 1042-S Reporting.
• Send correspondence to non-resident aliens and obtain appropriate tax forms.
• Determine correct withholding rate based on EY tax treaty table, track monthly payments by type if spreadsheet.
• Suppress all records at CYE.
• Manually create 1042-S forms, ensure each payee’s address is formatted to each country’s address convention.
• Mail copies to payees and IRS.
Filing correction data with the IRS
• Ensure accuracy of 1099 record corrections processed from operating bureau, requests and other data found to be incorrect or otherwise requiring correction.
• Submit requests to ITS to run job to create IRS files.
• Reconcile IRS files with expected record counts and amounts.
• Submit corrections for all open tax years for ERS, PFS, and SB, periodically throughout the year.
• Transmit data and corresponding 945-X reports to the IRS.
Additional Comments • Prior experience in a role requiring analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
• Strong accounting and internal control background, including knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Ability to evaluate processes and assess areas of risk.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Meticulous attention to accuracy and detail.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, to interact with many business partners and manage multiple priorities and staff.
• Ability to understand and explain complex laws and processes in a relatable manner.
• Ability to anticipate future needs and be adaptable to shifting priorities and unexpected situations.
• Proficiency in Excel.
• Prior supervisory experience preferred.
• CPA desirable.
• Positive attitude, self-directed, customer-focused, collaborative
• Excellent time and attendance
• Excellent organization skills.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or the address listed below by May 21, 2018. Please reference #07977-GOER-JAM when responding.
(The Vacancy ID at the top of this posting should not be included).