Minimum Qualifications The New York State and Local Retirement System (NYSLRS) has embarked on a multi-year initiative, called the Redesign Project, that will require significant investment to redesign its business processes and legacy systems, replacing them with an integrated, customer focused, information system that facilitates its work.
When the Redesign Project is complete, NYSLRS will possess a modern information system, ready to meet the needs of its customers and stakeholders in a secure, flexible and stable environment.
PLEASE NOTE: Please read this posting in its entirety and follow the specific instructions on applying for this position.
• At least eight (8) years of experience in database administration including (1) year supervising in an IT environment.
o At least four (4) years of utilizing Oracle, which encompasses installing, upgrading and supporting Oracle database software and the associated Oracle Technology stack in a multi-year environment.
An Associate’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of general experience.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field may be substituted for four (4) years of general experience.
Duties Description Under the direction of the Database Administration Assistant Manager, the Database Administration Supervisor would be responsible for, but not limited to, the following activities:
• Supervise subordinate NYSLRS Database Administration staff and participate in its collaboration with NYSLRS selected implementation vendor in the implementation of and technical support of the data environment (including data definition, installation, modification and maintenance) for the Retirement Benefit Administration System;
• Supervise and participate in the implementation of and technical support of the database environments for ancillary products associated with the NYSLRS project;
• Supervise and participate in the development and execution of database closing and refresh activities including environment-specific configuration management and reconciliation;
• Ensure that the Database Administration Assistant Manager is made aware of emerging issues dealing with any of the database environments associated with the NYSLRS Project;
• Supervise and participate in the development, implementation and maintenance of detailed technical designs, and procedures for data modeling, capacity planning, performance analysis, tuning, monitoring, change control and database management in accordance with the Office of the State Comptroller’s (OSC’s) existing systems standards as well as any other applicable standards;
• Develop plans for proactive monitoring, diagnosing, and correcting database problems I(i.e., data corruption, contention, incorrect indexes, CPU utilization, etc);
• Supervise staff and participate in the development and implementation of backup, recovery and contingency/disaster planning;
• Schedule and direct meetings of Database Administration project staff;
• Assign staff to address project workload and reassign as needed; and
• Define the timeframe and scope for task completion for subordinate staff.
Additional Comments • Installing, upgrading and supporting Oracle database software and the associated Oracle Technology stack in multi-tier environment including:
o Database Server
o Applications Server
o Web Server
• Demonstrated experience administering the following software:
o Oracle Database 11gR2, including,
o Oracle Data Guard
o OEM Grid Control
o Real Application Clusters (RAC)
o Oracle Partitioning
o Advanced Security Option
o Database Vault
o Audit Vault
o Advance Compression
o Database Firewall
o Various Oracle management packs (candidate should specify management pack in which they are experience)
o Grid Control IAM Management
• Knowledge and/or experience with server and application sizing and capacity planning;
• Understanding and experience implementing database security procedures and best practices;
• Knowledge and/or experience with performance testing a complex, multi-tiered system;
• Knowledge and experience with performance tuning; recognizing root cause and recommending workable solutions;
• Knowledge and experience of Data Masking requirements and routines;
• Knowledge and experience with Oracle database administration in a PeopleSoft environment;
• Understanding of high availability and disaster recovery requirements and solutions;
• Ability to effectively assist in leading a team, with responsibility for assisting in managing a cohesive staff to ensure achievement of objectives;
• Knowledge of retirement benefit administration business requirements and their fulfillment through specific IT capabilities and practices;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Excellent organizational skills.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and the attached template (http://osc.state.ny.us/recruit/docs/07266_Template_05_2018.doc) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 25, 2018. Please reference Item # O7266BV-OSC in the subject line of the email and on the cover letter. (The Vacancy ID # should not be included in the subject line.)
PLEASE NOTE: All candidates MUST complete this template in full to demonstrate
they meet the minimum qualifications. Candidates will be selected for interview based
SOLELY on the contents provided by them on this template.
IMPORTANT; It is imperative that you provide specific examples to demonstrate your
experience for each of the required qualifications listed in this template. Please ensure that
you have fully described how you meet the qualifications by providing a FULLY
DETAILED description of your experience. Any ambiguity, vagueness, or omissions
will not be decided in the candidate’s favor.