Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
Senior Attorney – Candidates must be admitted to the New York State Bar Association, be licensed to practice law in New York State, and have two years of post-Bar legal experience.
Please note that candidates who have graduated from law school and who possess credentials and experience less than that described above will be required to serve in a traineeship leading to Senior Attorney, Grade 25. The length of the traineeship will be determined by the credentials and experience possessed by a candidate.
Continuous Recruitment List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Legal Specialties (#20-131). Information regarding eligibility is available on the Civil Service Examination Announcement at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/announ/cr_announcements/20-131.htm
Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at: http //careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services (Department) is seeking applicants for the position of Senior Attorney. Under supervision, the Senior Attorney's duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Providing legal advice and assistance concerning banking, insurance and financial services industry regulatory issues to Department staff;
• Conducting legal research on banking, insurance and financial services industry regulatory and legislative issues;
• Drafting legal opinions in response to inquiries from Department staff, regulated entities, and the general public on banking, insurance and financial services industry regulatory issues;
• Communicating orally and in writing with banking, insurance and financial services industry management and their attorneys, federal regulators, the general public, and Department management and Office of General Counsel;
• Reviewing and providing assistance in drafting proposed legislation, regulations, and circular letters;
• Assisting Department staff in responding to Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests;
• Analyzing various legal questions arising from banking, insurance and financial services industry mergers, acquisitions, applications and licensure activities, and unlicensed activities;
• Providing assistance to the New York State Attorney General's Office in representing the Department in litigation;
• Working on State Finance Law and direct pay contracts; and
• Other appropriate and occupationally related duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than May 25, 2018 to the email address listed below. Please include (Box SRATT-NYC) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 2016
Albany, New York 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
New York State
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job and the accommodation would not constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency.