Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications • PhD in economics and six years of economic forecasting experience;
• Four years of progressively responsible experience in leading a team in a major budgeting or research organization; one year of such experience must have included senior level management experience involving policy planning and direction, and the supervision of management staff;
• Candidates must demonstrate an ability to address changing priorities and provide expert fiscal policy advice and counsel in an ever-changing fiscal and political environment.
Duties Description The Economics/Revenue Unit in the Division of the Budget is seeking to fill the position of Assistant Chief Budget Examiner on the Economic Forecasting Team. The Economic Forecasting Team is responsible for economic forecasting for both the revenue and spending sides of the Executive Budget; quarterly financial updates; tax, economic development, and health care policy analysis; construction of computer simulation models for forecasting and policy analysis in the development of the State’s Financial Plan; fiscal impact analysis of proposed and enacted legislation; and budget negotiation with legislative fiscal committee staffs.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Chief Budget Examiner would include, but are not limited to:
• Providing policy advice and recommendations to the Chief Budget Examiner on programmatic, fiscal, and administrative issues.
• Conducting research identifying economic and revenue trends that may have an impact on the State’s long-term fiscal condition.
• Directing research on the economic and business climate of the State and for use in developing the State Financial Plan.
• Assisting the Chief Budget Examiner in determining final Division recommendations related to the STAR program and agency budgets under the unit’s purview.
• Working cooperatively with the Deputy Chief of Revenue, under the direction of the Chief Budget Examiner, to determine the immediate and long-range effects of decisions made by Executive policymakers related to State and local taxes on the economy, taxpayer behavior, and the State’s fiscal condition.
• Communicating Budget Division policies to the agencies and to the legislative fiscal committee staffs during budget negotiations.
• Directing and reviewing the analysis of policy and legislation within the Economics/Revenue Unit’s purview, and making recommendations to the Chief Budget Examiner pertaining to the approval or veto of such legislation.
• Directing the construction and maintenance of detailed macroeconomic models for the U.S. and New York economies, including satellite models for hundreds of additional economic variables used in the forecasting of revenues; directing and reviewing forecasting results.
• Directing policy evaluation research related to tax and economic development programs, including the construction of econometric and computer simulation models as required to perform such analysis.
• Carrying out special assignments as directed by the Chief Budget Examiner.
Additional Comments To be considered for this position with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/. Please select "Assistant Chief Budget Examiner - Economic Forecasting" on the 'Title Applying For' page.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for this position with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/. Please select "Assistant Chief Budget Examiner - Economic Forecasting" on the 'Title Applying For' page.