Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications • Eight years of economic and/or revenue forecasting, budgeting, and management experience; PhD in economics or related field preferred.
• Six years of progressively responsible experience in fiscal policy and/or financial management; two years of such experience must have included senior level management experience involving policy planning and direction, and the supervision of management staff.
• Candidates must demonstrate an ability to address changing priorities and provide expert fiscal policy advice and counsel in an ever-changing fiscal and political environment.
Duties Description The Economics/Revenue Unit in the Division of the Budget is seeking to fill the position of Chief Budget Examiner. The Economics/Revenue Unit is responsible for economic forecasting for both the revenue and spending sides of the Executive Budget; preparing the economic and revenue projections for quarterly Financial Plan updates; tax, economic development, and health care policy analysis; construction of computer simulation models for forecasting and policy analysis; updating cash revenue estimates in the development of the State’s Financial Plan; fiscal impact analysis of proposed and enacted legislation; and budget negotiation with legislative fiscal committee staffs.
Responsibilities of the Chief Budget Examiner would include, but are not limited to:
• Providing policy advice and recommendations to the Director of the Budget and the First Deputy Budget Director on programmatic, fiscal, and administrative issues.
• Conducting research identifying economic and revenue trends that may have an impact on the State’s long-term fiscal condition.
• Directing the analysis of the effects of various taxes on the economic and business climate of the State and for use in developing the State Financial Plan.
• Directing staff in the analysis of the long-term implications of the State’s tax structure and formulating recommendations related to the Director’s policies.
• Meeting with Director of the Budget and the First Deputy Budget Director to assist in determining final Division recommendations related to the agency budgets under the unit’s purview.
• Determining the immediate and long-range effects of decisions made by Executive policymakers related to State and local taxes on the economy, taxpayer behavior, and the State’s fiscal condition.
• Directing the analysis of individual State taxes to determine revenue estimates that will be used in the State Financial Plan and the New York State Executive Budget.
• Communicating the Director’s policies to the agencies and to the legislative fiscal committee staffs during budget negotiations.
• Directing and reviewing the analysis of tax policy and legislation within the Economics/Revenue Unit’s purview, and making recommendations to Director of the Budget and the First Deputy Budget Director pertaining to the approval or veto of such legislation.
• Directing the construction and maintenance of detailed macroeconomic models for the U.S. and New York economies, including satellite models for hundreds of additional economic variables used in the forecasting of revenues; directing and reviewing forecasting results.
• Directing and reviewing policy evaluation research for the purpose of forming recommendations related to tax and economic development programs.
• Carrying out special assignments as directed by the First Deputy Budget Director.
Additional Comments To be considered for this position with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/. Please select "Chief Budget Examiner - Economics/Revenue Unit" on the 'Title Applying For' page.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for this position with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/. Please select "Chief Budget Examiner - Economics/Revenue Unit" on the 'Title Applying For' page.