Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in the financial and administrative management of a governmental agency. Experience with programs for older individuals is a plus.
Please note: Appointments to exempt positions are subject to approval by the NYS Center for Recruitment and Public Service and the Division of the Budget, and employees serve at the pleasure of the Executive Chamber. Candidates may be subject to a prospective employee background investigation currently being conducted by the New York State Police and the Center for Recruitment as part of the appointment process.
Duties Description Under the general direction of the Director and the Executive Deputy Director of the New York State Office for the Aging (NYSOFA), the incumbent serves as the head of the Division of Finance and Administration (DFA) and is responsible for ensuring that Agency administrative and fiscal operations function effectively and in accordance with all applicable federal and State requirements. The position is one of four Deputy Directors who report directly to the Executive Deputy Director and who head the four Divisions comprising the NYSOFA: Executive Division, DFA, Local Program Operations (LPO) and Division of Policy, Planning and Program Operations (DPPPO). The incumbent is an integral member of the Executive Management Team and is responsible for formulating and implementing agency policies and work plans. These policies and work plans have an impact not only on Agency staff but also on the 59 local area agencies on aging which administer the majority of NYSOFA’s programs affecting the over 3.2 million New Yorkers who are 60 years of age and older. The incumbent also works directly with administrative enterprise and control agencies, such as the Office for Information Technology Services, the Office of General Services Division of Human Resources, the Business Services Center, the Division of the Budget, and the Office of the State Comptroller.
The incumbent of this position will oversee, coordinate, monitor, and assess bureaus and units within the Division to ensure the maintenance and improvement of ongoing functions in the areas of program management, grants management, budgeting, accounting, management information systems, personnel, resource management, and general administrative support. This is including, but not limited to the following activities:
• Overseeing the preparation of agency budgets, spending plans, and grant applications for federal, State and other funding streams. Adjusting spending plans to available resources, enforcing funding cutbacks, when necessary, and identifying and making recommendations for sources of additional funds and supporting advocacy for increased funding.
• Developing and implementing an integrated program and fiscal environment for correlating budget plans, revenue changes and actual expenditures across multiple funding periods and revenue streams, and ensuring compliance with requirements of the Division of the Budget and the Office of the State Comptroller.
• Representing the agency with the Office of Information Technology for information technology enhancements for Agency functions, including implementation within the Division of new or modified systems and providing resources and support to the other Divisions to assist them in their functions.
• Negotiating on behalf of the agency with other State agencies, the Division of the Budget and Federal grantor agencies regarding operational, fiscal and administrative resources and requirements for NYSOFA or its grantees.
• Working directly with Human Resources and Equal Employment Opportunity partners within the Office of General Services to ensure appropriate staffing for the Agency to carry out its mission, including recruitment of a diverse and qualified staff within all applicable Civil Service and other State and federal requirements.
In addition, the Deputy Director will be responsible for the following:
• Advising the Director and Executive Deputy Director on matters of general office policies affecting grants administration and accounting, budgeting, information systems, internal and external communications, personnel, labor relations, and agency management and taking a leadership role in the development, adoption and implementation of those policies.
• Serving as Agency liaison, either individually or as part of the Agency Executive Team, to various professional groups, legislative members, aging related associations and senior organizations, such as the NYS Association of Area Agencies on Aging, to present and discuss fiscal or administrative aspects of aging issues and NYSOFA policies and procedures impacting the elderly and the aging field, as well as to gather public stakeholders’ input into the further development of NYSOFA policies. This includes coordination with the other NYSOFA Divisions and representing the Agency as needed on major Statewide initiatives involving other State agencies.
• Overseeing the maintenance of appropriate internal controls within the Division and ensuring that internal control recommendations of Internal Controls Officer are acted upon in a timely manner by Division staff. Cooperating with Internal Controls Officer and other agency managers to enhance assessments, awareness and reduction of agency vulnerabilities to loss, misapplication of resources and deviation from policy directions.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title and Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.