Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Candidates with graduate-level coursework in health care finance or policy are preferred, but post-junior level undergraduates with strong writing and analytical skills may be considered.
The successful candidate should enjoy working in a team environment, have an interest in health care finance and be able to: prepare, analyze, and effectively present fiscal information; communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing; manage multiple assignments; demonstrate initiative in formulating constructive recommendations on issues; and work proficiently with Microsoft Excel/Word.
Duties Description The Health Unit is looking for a Student Assistant to join the Medicaid team to assist in the evaluation of Federal policy changes as they relate to New York’s Medicaid program and to oversee the implementation of Medicaid-related initiatives that were included in the FY 2019 Enacted Budget. The Medicaid unit is responsible for the budget development and policy and fiscal oversight of the State’s $74 billion Medicaid program which serves over six million enrollees through a network of over 80,000 health care providers and 80 managed care plans. New York’s Medicaid program is jointly funded by the State, Federal and local governments; therefore, changes in policy at the Federal level have a direct impact on New York’s Medicaid program.
Responsibilities of the Health Care Policy and Enacted Budget Implementation Assistant would include, but are not limited to:
• Tracking and analyzing potential changes in Federal Medicaid funding mechanisms or policies, and evaluating of the impact on New York State of shifting to a ‘Medicaid Block Grant’;
• Analyzing the overall impact of repealing the Affordable Care Act, including the effects on the number of insured, the reimbursements to the Medicaid program, the utilization of health care services, and the dynamics of Medicaid providers;
• Examining the changes to New York State’s Essential Plan on the number of insured, the utilization of health care services in the state, and the statewide rate of uncompensated care;
• Evaluating the reductions in the Federal reimbursement for the State’s 1115 Medicaid Waiver, including any potential impacts on the Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment program;
• Tracking and analyzing Medicaid cost-saving measures and investments that were included as part of the FY 2019 Enacted Budget, and,
• Studying and reporting on shifts in Federal health care provider tax policy.
Additional Comments To be considered for a Summer Internship with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/ and select "Summer Internship." You can apply to multiple internships simultaneously by selecting the specific Internship's Unit name on the Professional Interests/Skills page.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for a Summer Internship with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/ and select "Summer Internship." You can apply to multiple internships simultaneously by selecting the specific Internship's Unit name on the Professional Interests/Skills page.