Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Transfer Qualifications: Any permanent Plant Utilities Assistant or anyone reachable on the
Current Civil Service List or anyone eligible for a 70.1 transfer
Minimum Qualifications: Either 1. One year of satisfactory hands-on experience in the operation and maintenance of boilers and/or auxiliary equipment or HVAC equipment in commercial, industrial, or institutional facilities (experience limited to residential applications is NOT considered qualifying);
2. A high school diploma or GED and successful completion of four trades courses in any combination of the following trades: electrical, refrigeration, boiler operation and maintenance, plumbing, and HVAC. Each trade course must include a minimum of 30 to 45 classroom/lab hours in order to be considered qualifying;
3. Successful completion of 12 college semester credit hours in any combination of the following course areas: Heating ventilation and air conditioning, electrical circuits, fluid mechanics, technical communications, thermal dynamics, utility refrigeration mechanics, blueprint reading and operation and maintenance, industrial instrumentation and control, industrial safety and environmental air quality;
4. Completion of an approved certificate program* in HVAC or related area that is a minimum of one year in duration;
5. Completion of an approved certificate program* in HVAC or related area which is less than one year in duration and post certificate experience, which combined equals one year.
* Certification program must be accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology or recognized by the NYSED Bureau of Proprietary Schools.
• Working knowledge of the methods, material, tools and equipment used in the trade or trades to which assigned.
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in making mechanical and routine electrical repairs to heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, pneumatic control systems and direct digital and other microprocessor controlled systems.
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Will be required to read and interpret plans, codes, diagrams, architectural blueprints and specifications.
• Basic computer skills preferred.
• Valid NYS Driver’s License.
Provisional Appointment: In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who
meet the minimum qualifications below may be qualified for a provisional
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Plant Utilities Assistant, you would assist in the operation, maintenance and repair of mechanical and electrical equipment providing heat, hot water, ventilation, air conditioning and electrical distribution in a safe and efficient manner.
• Assists in the operation of steam and hot water boilers including lighting off, firing, cleaning and shutting down systems.
• Assist in the operation of central and auxiliary computers which monitor, test, control and operate boilers, auxiliary equipment and HVAC systems.
• Service and maintain residential heating and air conditioning equipment located in the plant and throughout the community as may be necessary.
• Conduct boiler, HVAC and water systems testing, analyzing results and adding chemicals to maintain proper residuals in boiler and piping systems.
• Assists in the operation of large central absorption, centrifugal, screw driven and hermetic chiller systems and other refrigeration equipment. Duties include starting, regulating and troubleshooting to maintain proper temperature.
• Will be required to perform operations and maintenance within an asbestos environment and/or projects being carried out by other employees or private contractors.
• Handle various types of hazardous materials, such as refrigerants, Freon, gas, fuel oil, solvents, antifreeze, biocides, nitrates, ethanol, acids, caustic soda, regulated waste and refuse.
• Respond to incidents having potential environmental impact and/or safety concerns such as chemical spills, oil spills and blowouts.
• Under supervision – work in confined space situations using personal protective equipment.
• May require daily travel within the district, as well as some travel within NY State to assist other districts with special projects.
• Candidate will be trained in the operation and maintenance procedures as related to Asbestos Containing Materials.
• Other Duties as Assigned.
Additional Comments Please note:
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Position may be eligible for Loan Forgiveness via the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program:
• For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.