Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Four years of full-time experience in a trade under a skilled journey-level position, which would provide training that is equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprentice training in a trade or training gained by the completion of technical courses in a trade at a school or institute may be substituted for the above experience on a year-for-year basis.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION: General Mechanics perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled maintenance repair, installation and construction tasks in the mechanical, building and electrical trades in multiple community residences and other buildings.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs a variety of carpentry related duties, including but not
limited to installations and repairs of flooring, repair and
adjustment of doors and hardware, stairs, railings, and
replacement of ceiling tile.
• Performs minor electrical duties including but not limited to
replacing receptacles, light fixtures, and circuit breakers.
• Repairs, installs and maintains plumbing fixtures and appliances,
including but not limited to: sinks, showers, baths, commodes,
dishwashers, domestic water and drainage distribution systems.
• Preforms a variety of painting related duties including but not
limited to preparing surfaces, priming and painting.
• Performs maintenance, and preventative maintenance on
mechanical equipment including but not limited to bathroom
exhaust fans, clothes dryers, sump pumps and generators
• Requires daily travel within the district.
• May require some travel within NY State to assist other districts
with special projects.
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and
equipment used in the trade or trades to which assigned.
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Will be required to train and supervise others.
• Candidate will be trained in the operation and maintenance
procedures as related to Asbestos Containing Materials.
• Will be required to plan and lay out work, develop time and
material lists for projects assigned.
• Will be required to read and interpret plans, codes, diagrams,
architectural blueprints and specifications.
• Basic computer skills preferred
• Valid NYS driver’s License
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Human Resources Office