Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Employees who possess the following minimum qualifications may apply:
Full-time, permanent or provisional appointments will be made. The Agency may, at its discretion, nominate a qualified person for non-competitive open competitive examination under the provisions of Rule 4.2(b) of the Rules for the Classified Service.
For a permanent appointment:
Applicants must be reachable on the current NYS eligible list or be eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the NYS Civil Service Law.
For a provisional appointment:
Two years of debt collection experience where the majority of collection activities include regular contact with borrowers, lending institutions, and/or third parties for the collection of delinquent and/or defaulted loans. Activities include experience with incoming and outgoing calls, personal contact; skip tracking and negotiations of payment arrangements. This experience is usually obtained from a collection agency or various other institutions that have a collection department within the institution and its primary function and activities are related to debt collection.
NOTE: Candidates who apply for provisional appointment must apply for the next upcoming Student Loan Control Representative 1 examination and be reachable for appointment once the eligible list is established.
Duties Description DESCRIPTION OF JOB DUTIES: Duties include but are not limited to:
1. Perform a variety of collection activities requiring regular contact with borrowers, lending institutions and third parties for the collection of defaulted student loans. Employee maintains individual account ownership.
2. Locate borrowers using available skip-tracing tools.
3. Use appropriate telephone techniques to interact with borrowers via inbound and outbound calls in efforts to collect defaulted student loans.
4. Describe repayment obligations, liabilities and possible ramifications of failure to repay student loans.
5. Advise borrowers of available repayment options including federal direct consolidation and rehabilitation loan programs or other alternative options.
6. Attempt to secure payment on a borrower’s defaulted loan through persuasion and negotiation to achieve the maximum rate of recovery.
7. Recommend reduced payment arrangements where appropriate and/or set up and arrange monthly installment payments via automatic payment options.
8. Conduct follow up activities to ensure adherence to repayment schedules or negotiated payment arrangements.
9. Understand and maintain strict compliance with laws and regulations pertaining to collection and FFELP.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
NOTE: IF MANDATORY LISTS EXIST FOR THIS TITLE, PREFERENCE IN FILLING THIS POSITION WILL BE GIVEN TO THE INDIVIDUALS ON THESE MANDATORY LISTS.
Additional Comments Qualified individuals must submit a resume and cover letter which provides specific information that outlines how their work experience meets the minimum qualifications.
The hours of these positions require working from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. four days per week and from 12:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. one day per week.
Please e-mail your resume & cover letter to email@example.com with "SLCR" in the subject line. If you wish to submit via regular mail, please mail to the address listed, ATTN: BHRM, Heather Reppenhagen.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease e-mail your resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "SLCR" in the subject line. If you wish to submit via regular mail, please mail to the address listed, ATTN: BHRM, Heather Reppenhagen.