Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications An associate's or higher-level degree in computer science, computer information systems, telecommunications, or management information systems; or
A minimum of 60 college semester credit hours including at least 15 credit hours in computer science; or
A total of one year of experience in the following computer related areas: election systems management, computerized equipment, or election administration.
Duties Description Elections Security Specialist, reporting to the Director and Deputy Director of Election Operations, and taking day-to-day direction from the Unit’s Senior Assistant for Elections Continuity, will support the newly created Secure Elections Center by leading all aspects of the Election Operations Unit’s oversight of the policies and procedures set forth by the State Board covering incident response capabilities (including cyber incidents), and continuity of operations planning by County Boards of Elections.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Work collaboratively with Senior Assistant for Elections Continuity to develop policies and procedures for cybersecurity, incident response and business continuity planning at the County Board level.
• Assist in compiling elections security policies, procedures, standards and guidelines based on knowledge of best practices and compliance requirements such as NIST Framework, MS-ISAC, and CIS.
• Audit of County Board implementation of cybersecurity and incident response policies and procedures. Review and assess submitted documentation. Under the supervision of the Senior Assistant for Elections Continuity, recommend additional steps or corrective action, as appropriate.
• Conduct on-site activities at County Boards as needed or directed in order to review and assess on-site implementation of policies and procedures.
• Assist in training County Board personnel in the implementation of security policies and procedures. Effectively convey an understanding of the principles and best practices of cybersecurity, incident response and continuity of operations planning. Translate that knowledge to County Board personnel.
• Develop and maintain expertise in security features of all systems which are undergoing or have completed the certification process in NYS.
• Develop and/or work collaboratively with security consultants and team members to create, implement, and monitor risk assessment and risk mitigation plans associated with electronic elections equipment/systems statewide. Participate in all cybersecurity, incident response and business continuity strategy sessions, as appropriate.
• Assist Unit management in conducting research and special projects related to cybersecurity, incident response and continuity of operations planning, as needed. Research may include complex analysis of data and/or information.
• Assist in the development and conduct of topical presentations to internal and external groups, including agency management, County Board Commissioners and personnel, the Election Assistance Commission (EAC), advocacy groups, and other interested parties.
• Monitor primary and general election day elections equipment/systems used by County Boards. Provide assistance to County Boards in responding to elections equipment/system incidents during field operations; offer solutions for mitigation.
• Support the development and implementation of a help desk function for access by County Board personnel.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply, please send resume and cover letter no later than July 6, 2018. Be sure to indicate the title and posting number for which you are applying. New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)