Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications A bachelors degree in any field supplemented by either a minor in computer science or a minimum of 12 college credit hours in computer science and two (2) years of experience with election system technology, computerized equipment, or with election administration. A Master’s degree in any field may be substituted for one (1) year of required experience.
Duties Description A Senior Assistant for Elections Continuity, reporting directly to the Director and Deputy Director of Election Operations, will lead the Unit’s efforts to support the newly created Secure Elections Center by focusing on the operational aspects of elections administration at the County Board level. Responsibilities will focus on risk assessment and mitigation strategies as part of the evaluation of elections systems technology as well as developing and monitoring compliance with policies and procedures set forth by the State Board covering incident response capabilities (including cyber incidents), and continuity of operations planning by County Boards of Elections.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Oversee the development and roll-out of State Board of Elections statewide policies and procedures associated with cybersecurity, incident response and continuity of operations planning at the County Board of Elections level. Existing policy and procedural documents must be reviewed and updated; new documents must be developed in instances where previous versions do not already exist. Collaborate with State Board management, team, and/or consultant staff as necessary to create and complete work products.
• Develop and maintain in-house expertise on elections security policies, procedures, standards and guidelines based on knowledge of best practices and compliance requirements such as NIST Framework, MS-ISAC, and CIS.
• Provide meaningful input, subject matter expertise, and prompt assistance to County Boards of Elections personnel throughout their development and implementation of cybersecurity and incident response policies and procedures at the local level.
• Monitor and coordinate the State Board’s audit of required cybersecurity and incident response policies and procedures. Review and assess submitted documentation. Recommend additional steps or corrective action, as appropriate.
• Coordinate and oversee the conducting of on-site activities at County Boards as needed or directed in order to review and assess on-site implementation of policies and procedures.
• Develop and execute training curriculum that will bring attention and education to security topics for both State Board and County Board staff.
• Lead Unit’s efforts in the assessment of vendor-provided end-user training sessions, training manual(s), and any supporting documentation.
• Develop and maintain positive relationships between the State Board and partner organizations and/or institutions involved in election security, including vendors.
• Develop and maintain in-house expertise in security features of all systems which are undergoing or have completed the certification process in NYS. Educate the team by coordinating cross-training on all systems. Ensure knowledge transfer among team members through ongoing training.
• Oversee, review, and participate in staff and consultant analysis of technical documents relating to election systems evaluation, test plans, and system functionality with a particular focus on risk assessment of any potential cyber vulnerabilities.
• Establish and maintain a system of regular communications and/or reports concerning progress and obstacles relative to the team’s technical assignments, vendor issues, and County Board concerns, or other matters impacting progress. Attend SBOE Board Meetings, and respond directly to queries from Commissioners as needed or directed by Unit management.
• Oversee staff in researching and conducting special projects related to cybersecurity, incident response and continuity of operations planning.
• Supervise the development and conduct of topical presentations to internal and external groups, including agency management, County Board Commissioners and personnel, the Election Assistance Commission (EAC), advocacy groups, and other interested parties.
• Initiate and manage the development and implementation of a help desk function for access by County Board personnel requiring technical assistance.
• Supervise two Elections Security Specialists.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply, please send resume and cover letter no later than July 6, 2018. Be sure to indicate the title and posting number for which you are applying. New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)