Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable on the Decentralized list for Senior Examiner of Municipal Affairs, exam #20-777 or reachable on the Examiner of Municipal Affairs Trainee 1 list, exam #20-724 or be a current NYS employee eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
To be eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 to the Senior Examiner of Municipal Affairs, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title allocated to grade 16 or higher and have 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing.
To be eligible for transfer under Section 70.4 to the Senior Examiner of Municipal Affairs, a candidate must:
1. Have one year of permanent competitive service allocated to grade 16 or higher.
2. Meet the open competitive minimum qualifications of the position, and
3. Have standing on the open competitive decentralized exam list #20-777
Duties Description Audit Execution
• Conduct audit assignments in accordance with Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) and Division policies and directives including the Comprehensive Audit Manual.
• Participate in entrance and exit conferences with local officials, contribute appropriate and accurate information as necessary and document meeting results adequately.
• Assist in developing audit scope, objectives and appropriate audit tests to sufficiently document municipal unit’s compliance with audit requirements.
• Conduct organized and focused interviews with local government personnel to obtain relevant operational and procedural information.
• Gather, analyze, summarize and sufficiently document information to complete each audit step in the audit program or checklist, applying technical and analytical skills to arrive at appropriate conclusions.
• Convey pertinent information to audit team members and work unit management and contribute suggestions and provide meaningful input during audit team and work unit meetings.
• Prepare written documents that are clear, concise, well organized, adequately summarized and use appropriate tone and grammar.
• Prepare assigned sections of examination/audit reports summarizing audit findings and developing recommendations that meet Division standards for quality and are written concisely and accurately.
• Ensure that audit work papers and examination/audit reports are appropriately cross-referenced to adequate and appropriate information
Provide Training and Technical Assistance
• Gain knowledge of professional standards, Division policies and guidelines, accounting systems, opinions and laws and provide guidance and technical assistance to local officials when requested.
• Provide training to local officials and/or examiners at conferences, meetings and schools as assigned that presents acceptable and applicable content that is prepared and presented in a professional manner.
Additional Comments Desired Competencies
• Good organizational skills
• Good communication skills both written and oral
• Good analytical skills
• Knowledge and use of technology
• Positive attitude
• Team Player
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 6/22/2018. Please reference Item # 03804 – GOER-SAB when responding.
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section. The VACANCY ID # should not be included.