Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable on the Decentralized list for Senior Abandoned Property Accounts Auditor, exam #20-777 or reachable on the Abandoned Property Accounts Auditor Trainee 1 list, exam #20-724 or be a current NYS employee eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
To be eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 to the Senior Abandoned Property Accounts Auditor, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title allocated to grade 16 or higher and have 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing.
To be eligible for transfer under Section 70.4 to the Senior Abandoned Property Accounts Auditor, a candidate must:
1. Have one year of permanent competitive service allocated to grade 16 or higher.
2. Meet the open competitive minimum qualifications of the position, and
3. Have standing on the open competitive decentralized exam list #20-777
To be eligible to transfer under Section 70.4 to Abandoned Property Accounts Auditor Trainee 1, a candidate must:
1. Have one year of permanent competitive service allocated to grade 12 or higher, 2. Meet the open competitive minimum qualifications of the position, and 3. Have standing on the open competitive decentralized exam list #20-724.
Duties Description Perform compliance audits of companies to ensure they are aware of and in compliance with the Abandoned Property Law.
* Incumbent will identify candidates for the Voluntary Compliance Program.
o This involves researching company backgrounds, gathering financial data and contact information, performing financial comparisons to other data sources, and prioritizing candidates by asset size.
* Incumbent will contact candidates by phone, email and letters to assist with completing audit questionnaires:
o Examine completed audit questionnaires, request and review background data including general ledger, accounts payable, and account reconciliations.
o Identify items that should be reported as unclaimed funds.
o Compare the candidate’s reporting history with the results of the audit to determine whether or not all amounts have been reported and whether the amount due to the State has been properly computed and paid.
o Prepare audit reports on compliance activities and performance.
Perform Holder Education activities
* Provide training to companies filing abandoned property reports.
* Train holders on how to identify and report unclaimed funds to the State.
* Explain statutory considerations; and provide information about recent updates and best practices.
* Develop training curriculum, materials and formats such as handouts, manuals, webinar/seminar sessions, teleconferences and newsletters.
* Notify holders of any changes during the year; ensure the website has the most current information.
* Participate in organizing, creating, editing and distributing holder education materials. This includes writing and speaking, to individuals or groups, in person or electronically.
Develop audit techniques to reach out to companies using new or updated tools and work with the team to create a procedure to use the new audit techniques in routine work.
* Identify new ways to use outreach and education methods to initiate and perform compliance audits and help bring companies into compliance.
* Establish procedures to create a routine way to use the new initiatives.
* Troubleshoot any problems that arise from the new procedures to make the initiative successful
Stay up to date on current laws and reporting procedures.
* Monitor and research any changes in procedures, laws, or industry trends pertaining to unclaimed property.
* Identify any stakeholders, issues, and any pertinent history to determine what information is important in different situations.
* Provide relevant information to companies to help them file an accurate and complete report.
Additional Comments * Accounting and Auditing
* Written and Verbal Communication
* Strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite and ability to use or learn new software. Especially experience with Microsoft Access.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 21, 2018.
Please reference Item # 05944– GOER-JDC
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section. The VACANCY ID # should not be included.