317 Washington Street
Minimum Qualifications For Legal Assistant 1: You must be a State employee eligible to transfer to the Legal Assistant 1, grade 14, title.
For Legal Assistant Trainee 1: You must be a NYS employee, salary grade 9 or above, who is eligible to transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law to the Legal Assistant Trainee title.
If not already completed, all TRAINEES are required to successfully complete six courses in paralegal studies and related skills from an accredited college or university, and one or more college or training courses in writing skills, within the two-year traineeship.
Duties Description • Review incoming legal papers from prisoners (petitions, complaints, applications for habeas corpus), analyze issues, contact DOCCS and other state agencies to obtain relevant documentation, analyze/summarize documents, and prepare drafts of responsive papers for attorney review.
• Read and evaluate incoming mail from courts and other parties to litigation, summarize action needed and response date, if any, and enter summary and dates into litigation database.
• Oversee litigation database and court calendar to ensure accuracy, spot conflicts, and alert attorneys to deadlines, conflicts, problems, and questions.
• Work with OPWDD on applications for involuntary retention of dangerous developmentally-disabled individuals. Prepare retention application documents for filing with court. Coordinate scheduling of witnesses. In consultation with attorney gather or summarize documents necessary for hearing. Prepare orders and stipulations for attorney signature and review.
• Contact courts and county clerks. File papers, set or move court dates, research records, respond to client, defendants, or other parties involved in a proceeding etc.
• Analyze other legal documents and summarize for attorney review.
• Conduct legal research and analyze legal decisions utilizing Shepard’s and Lexis.
• Respond to incoming consumer complaints when consumer representative or secretary is unavailable.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.